PDA

View Full Version : What is your business?

william kaminsky
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Carol brought up something interesting to me..

Follow along here.

I don't have an immediate need for a big laser right now, as most of the work I do involves prototyping. There is such a firm on other side of town who can quickly handle my yards of work very quickly. The trophy shop who handled my small prototype cutting work (like one or two small parts off of junk stock per month) in the past moved about six blocks away a few years ago. But, went by their new location the other day only to find a vacant building. They had been considering retirement I know, but then too maybe they were behind on their rent or,... for whatever reason they are gone, and the office space is up for lease now.

I have heard of new businesses (buying a laser and) moving in to my neighborhood, but they are not trophy related. So am lost as to who to look for as a replacement. Many of the firms are not apparent as to their capabilities and thus not in the telephone yellow pages as offering anything. But, they got laser. Am thinking what I have to do is drive up and down the local streets find such a business or go to the yellow pages and find out who these firms are then. I know I need not go to a super market or real estate office, but what type of firm should I then contact?

What business are readers here in, and this will give me an idea as to who to look for up and down the long avenue. For in the past, I visited the trophy shop for maybe 10-15 minutes smack after closing time of 5PM, did my stuff while they were closing up the store, and was gone before them. I need a few suggestions as to what places I ought to inquire through. Find the place, stop off and talk to them etc. I don't want to drive 1/2 hour from here to get something done.

If you use a machine, what is your current business then?
If you rent or lease off another firm, who do you visit?

Wm.

Tim Bateson
08-09-2009, 12:41 PM
William,
Many - most of us here work out of our homes. The overhead of a store front is too high and most of our business is by word of mouth anyway.
You didn't say where you were located. This may help if one of our members is near your location.

Dan Hintz
08-09-2009, 2:03 PM
Try calling all of the local sign shops... they may either have one themselves or can possibly point you to someone who does.

william kaminsky
08-09-2009, 2:04 PM
Hello Tim;

Am located in south Coltan Calif. S.B. County.

I know of a couple of local laser owners that work out of their garage right now. The city has an ordinance that essentially says NO open grid lasers (no lid, no running it, you gotta be trained and have a permit from OSHA) .... and these folks are trying to keep things quiet so that they do not attract attention and get caught. One fellow I know is deathly afraid that some one at city offices will read his income tax report, put two and two together and then he gets caught. He got caught two or three years ago for no city business license, but they overlooked his other activities. It was not renewed last year. Most all of these folks are semi-legit, but not fully. Which is one reason why I am moreover looking for a store front place.

Wm.

Dan Hintz
08-09-2009, 2:16 PM
Can you surround the beast with a cover of some form, maybe a large plexiglass cabinet? May not be cheap if this is for a gantry system, but if the entire thing is enclosed they can't say much.

william kaminsky
08-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Naww...

We have wandering agents for the city.

They are looking out the windows of their van for any sort of violations.

Van got the neighbor due to his unused extra building out back of his property. Said he was illegally using it for rentors.

Wm.

David Arana
08-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Have you tried the local custom craft shops.
The local shops here that do custom framing for pictures and lots of wordworkers have em.
Im a storefront, primarily a signshop but I just purchased my laser and am just now starting the process of building inventory for trophies, plaques. etc.

hope that helps.

Dan Hintz
08-10-2009, 7:00 AM
Van got the neighbor due to his unused extra building out back of his property. Said he was illegally using it for rentors.
Well, it sounds like they don't need much of an excuse to give you a citation, so why bother trying to follow the rules? Seriously. If someone has an empty building on their lot, and they're willing to make up a story about possible illegal renters, doesn't really say much for the usefulness of the group as a whole. You could put a fully protected laser anywhere and they would find an issue with it. You have a choice... either do what you think is right and take the risk of getting fined, or stay away from doing business in that area.

william kaminsky
08-10-2009, 9:48 PM
Have you tried the local custom craft shops.
The local shops here that do custom framing for pictures and lots of wordworkers have em.
Im a storefront, primarily a signshop but I just purchased my laser and am just now starting the process of building inventory for trophies, plaques. etc.

hope that helps.

Are you in the picture framing business then?

I noticed two new shops opened up here locally in past three months. Never gave them a second thought, but maybe I ought to see what then they are doing.

Wm.