PDA

View Full Version : Cardboard - Vector Cutting Settings

Steve Clarkson
08-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I know that this is like one of the most basic materials to vector cut....but I REALLY haven't cut any before.

I've searched the forum up and down for power/speed settings and can't find any. (EVERYBODY cuts it though!) Surprisingly, nothing in the Epilog manual either.

So can anyone give me a good starting point for vector cutting cardboard? I don't feel like ruining all these expensive pieces of cardboard testing settings......

Thanks!

william kaminsky
08-09-2009, 11:17 AM
I think many of use need more infmation here...

Is this common corrugated cardboard?

Flat stuff?

Compressed (hardboard) style of cardboard?

Exterior or surface color?

You intend to make one cut out of the part or label it too?

Each of the above will alter the starting point settings.

Wm.

Steve Clarkson
08-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes, flat brown corrugated cardboard.......typical box cardboard.

Andrea Weissenseel
08-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Steve, I cut cardboard at 100% Speed and 70% Power - it's not corrugated though

Andrea

Steve Clarkson
08-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I just tried 100s/100p/500f and it didn't get all the way through......I'll keep trying. Thanks though!

Andrea Weissenseel
08-09-2009, 12:08 PM
maybe it helps setting the focus in the middle distance when its corrugated

Tim Bateson
08-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I do sometimes use cardboard to prototype a new product (cheaper than wood). I have had occasion when I had the same issue. I think some cardboard is more dense and maybe it's the glue used in them. At that point I'll either crank up the power and lower the speed or if all else fails an old fashion razor blade works great. :cool:

David Fairfield
08-09-2009, 1:28 PM
I tend to use relatively high power settings on cardboard, its often tougher to burn through than it looks! So I start higher than I think I need. If I get scorch marks on the reverse, from the laser bouncing off the vector grid, I'll lower it a little for the next time.

I use the reverse side scorching as an indication of using too much power, pretty much with any material.

Dave

Steve Clarkson
08-09-2009, 2:47 PM
Thanks guys......for posterity, the settings that worked for me were: 50s/100p/500f

John Noell
08-09-2009, 3:31 PM
I think the biggest issue is variability in the cardboard itself. After carefully noting all settings forone piece, I switch to a different piece from somewhere else and I'm way off.