PDA

View Full Version : Marking knives

harry strasil
08-09-2009, 9:55 AM
Marking knives I made for myself.

Top one is a copy of an old one I saw in an old catalogue.

Bottom one is my dovetail pin marking knife.

Both are sharpened on one side only.

george wilson
08-09-2009, 4:38 PM
Harry,I have the one you saw in an old catalog. Woodcraft sold it,and I got mine back in the 60's.

Bruce Haugen
08-09-2009, 5:59 PM
plus I have a question for you.

When you pin the scales on the blade, as in the top marker, do you ream the holes a bit or just expect the epoxy to hold them?

Thanks,

Bruce

Richard Dooling
08-09-2009, 6:39 PM
Is a good saber saw (Bosch, Fesstool) blade a good candidate for grinding a marking knife blade? Seems like a good candidate. Flexible, decent steel that should hold an edge.

Thumbs up or down.

harry strasil
08-09-2009, 7:16 PM
Bruce, I rivet my handles on. The only thing I have ever epoxied is the adjusting nuts in the feet of my bench, if gorilla glue is an epoxy.

Richard, if I were to use a power saw blade instead of a handsaw blade for a marking knife, I would probably use a sawzall style blade with some meat to it.

george wilson
08-09-2009, 8:36 PM
The blade you use needs to be completely hard,and not just have the teeth welded on. Many blades are soft back so they don't shatter. I don't use a Sawzall,so I'm not into how they make their blades. If the back of the blade files readily with a fine,sharp file,but the teeth are hard,it is a soft back.

Full hard power hacksaw blades are hard to find due to safety regulations. You can still buy them,but they are costly.

Gorilla Glue is not epoxy.