PDA

View Full Version : another slab table project

drew hutchinson
08-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Having just started woodworking again, I am starting my second large project. This will be a table made from the walnut slab pictured below. The slab has been hand planed and rough sanded at this point. I will add a butterfly in the crack for looks as much as to keep the crack stable.

The legs will be ebonized maple and steel trestle. I like the contrast of modern geometric legs with a more natural rustic top.

Table top Finish will be Arm R Seal, legs will be done with black India Ink and polyurethane.

I am sure I will have questions as I go and wouldn't even be thinking about this project if I didn't have this forum for support. I will let you know how it progresses.

A couple of questions:

1 - do I need two butterflies to stablize the crack - the wood is dry already and I imagine the crack is not getting worse.

2 - do I need to worry about wood expansion when designing the base and the way it attaches?

3 - do I need to seal the walnut prior to using the Arm R Seal? I want the grain to deepen but prefer the color as natural as possible.

thanks!

drew hutchinson
08-09-2009, 12:29 AM
hope it attaches this time.

David Gendron
08-09-2009, 12:43 AM
What are the dimentions of the slab?

Jamie Buxton
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
You might consider inserting the butterfly key from the end, rather than the top. I've seen this on a Nakajima piece. It gives a more subtle look; woodworkers will notice, but others might not. It also deals with your question of one or two keys.

Yes, you should consider wood movement in attaching the top to the base. A plank this wide is likely to grow and shrink across the grain.

drew hutchinson
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
and about 2 1/2" deep.

Interesting solution putting the butterfly in the the end. I had not seen that done. I like the look of the butterfly in the top though and think I want to do it more be able to brag about it later! :)

I am concerned about attaching the base with steel plate and screws now. The plate and the wood will expand and contract at different rates and likely loosen the attachment over time.

Jamie Buxton
08-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I am concerned about attaching the base with steel plate and screws now. The plate and the wood will expand and contract at different rates and likely loosen the attachment over time.

The usual solution is to make the hole oval through the steel, so the screw can slide back and forth in it.

alex grams
08-10-2009, 9:25 AM
That is a beautiful piece of wood. Mind if I ask where you got it and what you paid? You can PM me the answers if you want.

-Alex

Jerry Olexa
08-13-2009, 5:11 PM
Very nice slab of wood....It will be a labor of love...Enjoy it!!