PDA

View Full Version : sintra / forex

David Fairfield
08-08-2009, 6:44 PM
Hi

Has anyone tried using Sintra (aka Forex in the EU) material in the laser? http://alcancompositesusa.com/prod_sintra.html

Is there a good supplier in the US for this stuff? Would like to try it (with and without lasering).

Thanks!
Dave

Scott Shepherd
08-08-2009, 7:06 PM
Sintra is a no-no for the laser. It's a PVC based product.

Nice stuff to work with though. Easy and cuts like butter. Just not for the laser. It can be bought from any sign supply company or plastics supplier. It's about $35 for a 4' x 8' sheet I think. It's been a while since I bought any do that number might be off.

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2009, 9:56 AM
$35 a sheet is about right for 3mm, double that for 6mm. I have used it up to 12mm but as Scott said it's PVC and will ruin your laser and cause potentially deadly toxic fumes. It;s easy to bend with a heat gun to make shapes and durable, but the colors fade over time in the sun.

David Fairfield
08-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys!! Looks like its a nono for the laser, but I'm interested in its other properties for building and making non-load bearing stuff.

One other question, before I order a sheet: how well does it glue, and what type of adhesive should I use?

Dave

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Can't help you Dave, I've never glued it. I don't see why it wouldn't glue well with the right product.

There are generic versions of it, Sintra is a brand name. I just checked the price at Harbor before posting this and white, 3mm is about $23 a sheet. Colors are more in the $30 range at 3mm.

Seems like I paid about $50 for a sheet of it last time I bought it (which wasn't from Harbor).

You can cut it with a razor knife as well. It really does cut easy.

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2009, 11:14 AM
PVC cement as used on pipe will hold but not under stress. Krazy Glue also works and seems to hold even under stress, in fact the 3mm PVC will break before the glued joint will. I preferred to use clear silicone, it holds but remains flexible enough to allow for some flexing. When mounting PVC signs I always use 3M VHB double sided tape and silicone, so the tape holds it while the adhesive sets up.

Larry Bratton
08-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Use IPS Weldon #16. It "marries" PVC to PVC and acrylic.

Dave Johnson29
08-09-2009, 6:36 PM
One other question, before I order a sheet: how well does it glue, and what type of adhesive should I use?

PVC welds very well with a heat gun type plastic sheet welder. Check Harbor freight as they used to sell one.

Do your own research on the "poisonous gases," there are two camps here on the 'creek. Those that do and those that do not. I am one of those that do and my laser is not showing any signs of deterioration. I have cut the ends of probably 200 pieces of 2" PVC pipe into contoured shapes for a customer.

The gas in question that is given off is in tiny amounts and with a good (500+cfm) extraction system and low humidity it has not been a problem for me. Your Mileage May Vary.

Scott Shepherd
08-09-2009, 6:54 PM
there are two camps here on the 'creek. Those that do and those that do not.

Keeping in mind, many in the "those that don't" have $20,000 machines that are under warranty and cutting PVC voids the warranty. Anyone that has a machine under warranty and comes on a public forum admitting they run PVC are putting their warranty at risk if something is damaged and they need to make a claim.

Joe Pelonio
08-09-2009, 7:55 PM
I have seen the damage that cutting Sintra-type PVC sheet can do to a laser, and it's ugly. PVC Pipe, however, is a different formulation. Because it's used in homes, it is a self-extinguishing plastic. While it will release some toxic/corrosive fumes such as hydrogen chloride it's not as bad as the foam sheet materials but I'd still avoid anything containing PVC. There are industrial grade lasers made with additional protection of components from the corrosive gases from cutting PVC but they are beyond the price range of most people here.