PDA

View Full Version : old school turning

alex carey
08-08-2009, 6:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_Ph6nZfGE

not sure if this has been posted before but its pretty cool.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Alex - that was cool! I was amazed at his skill level and how easy he made the turning look. Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Nathan Hawkes
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Great video. Just goes to show that new variable speed technology, chucks and alloy steel tools are not necessarily a substitute for pure turning skill and a sharp tool. (I wouldn't give up the PM3520 or my PM gouges though!!) In other words, those that came before had some pretty amazing skills despite what we now consider technical limitations......I'd love a bandsaw like the one in the video!!!!!

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2009, 11:02 PM
That was pretty cool Alex.

Ryan Baker
08-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Great video Alex.

What strikes me from this video is how very little things have changed since then. Sure there are minor things here and there (better chucks being the main one), but most of that equipment is very familiar.

Paul Atkins
08-09-2009, 1:49 AM
That should be the first video any turner should see. Thanks

Wally Dickerman
08-09-2009, 1:57 AM
The film was taken in 1926. I acquired my first lathe in 1936. By 1976 nothing had changed. We were still doing it pretty much as he was doing it. By 1986 we were all using the the deep fluted bowl gouge and things were changing. The 4-jawed chuck that is commonly used today didn't show up until about 1990

The gouges he used were forged spindle gouges and of course were carbon steel. He appeared to grind a convex grind.

The tools that he was using all had a small and very weak tang. A good sized catch could bend the tool to an L shape and for that reason was dangerous for inexperienced turners to use on bowls . Most turners used scrapers to do much of what he did. Some production turners, such as those on the Oregon coast still do. He was obviously a pro.

I noted that he used a skew as a scraper and that he rounded the knob with a spindle gouge.

The screw chuck was used directly on the bottom of the piece, which meant that the bottom of the bowl had to be fairly thick. For a production turner you can see how fast the job went with the screw chuck. In those days the screw hole was commony plugged with a piece of wood, and that was acceptable. Some used a glue block and faceplate instead. Usually with a piece of paper at the glue joint which made the block easily removed.

Wally

Jon Lanier
08-09-2009, 6:05 AM
The Dude has/had skills.

(As a side note, I wonder if he ended up in some way helping the WWII German War Effort, or had he become to old to still work?)

charlie knighton
08-09-2009, 9:01 AM
thanks for sharing

Ken Glass
08-09-2009, 9:17 AM
Alex,
I loved it. The music was WW11 but as Wally said, the film was 1926. Did anyone see the very small catch he had on the inside of the turning? Shows what resourcefulness really looks like.

Bob Hallowell
08-09-2009, 5:09 PM
That was great but wouldn't the bowl have warped then the lid wouldn't of fit?

Amazing how quick he was.

Bob

Greg Bender
08-09-2009, 7:51 PM
Was that a Tormek prototype he was using?
Great video,Thanx for posting the link.
Greg

Mike Minto
08-09-2009, 8:24 PM
did you note the size of the hands on that old man? looks like he could tear a coconut open with them. wonder who he was? great video - now, i wonder, do i really need all my fancy turning tools? mike

Keith Christopher
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
He was using those spoon gouges like a skew. I might have to make a couple of those. Couple of things he did scared me a little when he was reaching into the bowl with the rest so close, but yeah he had some skill.

Steve Trauthwein
08-10-2009, 7:54 AM
What really suprised me about the video was how high above center he seemed to be turning. Was this standard practice Wally or an optical illusion from the video?

Regards, Steve

Wally Dickerman
08-10-2009, 12:37 PM
What really suprised me about the video was how high above center he seemed to be turning. Was this standard practice Wally or an optical illusion from the video?

Regards, Steve

Yeah, I noticed that the tool rest seemed to be quite high. I don't think that there is a standard for tool rest height. Everybody's different. However, better well above center is better than well below center, which can lead to trouble.

Wally

terry richards
08-16-2009, 6:19 PM
Just a bit of trivia - the chain saw was also invented in 1926, also in Germany

Matt Hutchinson
08-16-2009, 7:31 PM
Ok, so this is my new favorite video. His use of the forged gouge makes me wonder why I don't have one. I have been wanting to get one for a while, but this video definitely puts it at the top of the list!

Thanks a ton for posting this link!!

Hutch

Scott Lux
08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Great vid. Thanks for posting that.