PDA

View Full Version : DELTA open end drum sander 18/36 w/outboard inflatable drum attch.

Mike OMelia
08-08-2009, 3:54 PM
Hi guys... need some advice. I have a 10-20 Performax sander, I use it for thicknessing tops, backs, and sides for guitars. But it is a lot of work due to its small size. I know someone who has a Delta 18/36 for sale ($250). Its about 6-7 years old. Generally, if the brand is not Jet/Performax, Powermatic, etc, I shy away. Delta is OK, but I have very few tools from that brand (and no big ones).

Does anybody have some advice/experience regarding this Delta sander?

Mike

Fred Hargis
08-08-2009, 4:21 PM
I've got one that's about that age. Mine has been an extremely good unit, and had really earned it's keep in my shop. I bought it second hand to help out a fellow at work. But the models made around that time had some problems. Getting the feed belt to track properly was one. The little fingers that held the sand paper sometimes would break (very expensive, from what I've heard). Not being able to keep the table parallel to the sanding drum was maybe the most often voiced complaint. The table is raised/lowered by a cogged belt with plastic gears turning the 4 screw jacks to the table. The belt would sometimes slip over 1 or 2 gears, or the gears themselves would occasionally break, causing the table to go out of parallel. Seems like there was another thing or two I can't remember, but those were the big ones. Not all the sanders had all (or any) of those problems, I haven't had a single problem with mine. But it's good to be aware of them. I think Delta must have eventually got that stuff solved, since I haven't read any such complaints in recent years. But if it's a good sander, it's well worth the $250....

Mike OMelia
08-08-2009, 4:56 PM
Yes, I have heard about the belt problem.

Guess I will have to wait and wee what the owner says.

So, the thickness adjustment moves the table, not the drum?

Thanks!

Mike

Fred Hargis
08-08-2009, 5:21 PM
Yes, I have heard about the belt problem.

Guess I will have to wait and wee what the owner says.

So, the thickness adjustment moves the table, not the drum?

Thanks!

Mike
Yes, that's one thing I really wish was different.If you use stands, it's a constant adjustment.....

george wilson
08-08-2009, 7:35 PM
Mine is also that age. I also had one at work. I didn't have any problems with the one at work except keeping the belt centered,but it wasn't a severe problem. Mine at home hasn't been any problem. I only use it for guitars,and keep the conveyor dead accurate with the sanding drum,not even .001" out. The head cannot flex like the Performax type units. I never had a belt come loose.

The Delta is MUCH superior to the Preformax type.They have very flexible heads because their heads have to be loose enough to move up and down. Deltas move the cast iron platen that the conveyor runs on. The head is extremely rigid.

It is possible that some do not understand that a sander is not a thickness planer,and try to get it to work too hard. I never take off more than 1/4 turn on the elevating wheel,and often run the piece 2 or 3 times without readjustment. Never use grits finer than 120.

I really think that overstressing the sander might cause these problems you hear about.

Mike OMelia
08-08-2009, 8:11 PM
Well George, you certainly have piqued my interest. As I also said, this will be for guitar work. So you certainly understand my requirements. I too only use 1/4 turns and several passes. I typically use 80 grit Klingspor paper.

I just want a wider drum sander. Any idea what that inflatable thing is?

Mike

Mine is also that age. I also had one at work. I didn't have any problems with the one at work except keeping the belt centered,but it wasn't a severe problem. Mine at home hasn't been any problem. I only use it for guitars,and keep the conveyor dead accurate with the sanding drum,not even .001" out. The head cannot flex like the Performax type units. I never had a belt come loose.

The Delta is MUCH superior to the Preformax type.They have very flexible heads because their heads have to be loose enough to move up and down. Deltas move the cast iron platen that the conveyor runs on. The head is extremely rigid.

It is possible that some do not understand that a sander is not a thickness planer,and try to get it to work too hard. I never take off more than 1/4 turn on the elevating wheel,and often run the piece 2 or 3 times without readjustment. Never use grits finer than 120.

I really think that overstressing the sander might cause these problems you hear about.

Ryan Baker
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I also have one of those that I got mainly for guitar work.

I don't know exactly what the inflatable attachment is, but I assume that means an inflatable drum sander that mounts on the outboard end of the drum, i.e. to the left, outside the sander. It would be a large, horizontal drum sander hanging out in the open. It might be useful for sanding contours or something if you don't already have suitable exuipment for that.

My only complaint with the Delta is the belt/cog system that controls the height of the conveyor. When I got the sander, it took me many hours of tweaking to get the conveyor parallel (within a few thousanths) to the sander head, and get it to stay there without skipping any teeth. But once I got it dialed in, I have not had it slip again since then. I think an important point is to not adjust the height too fast. I agree that a lot of people try to treat them like planers and take way too much off at once, overloading the tool. If only Delta had used metal gears and a chain instead of cheaping out with plastic gears and a wimpy belt...

I have never had any trouble with tracking or slipping of the feed belt. I like being able to put a full guitar top through in one pass, and it is certainly accurate enough for guitar work. There is no flexing in the head at all. I'd say it's well worth the $250.

george wilson
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes,it is an inflatable drum sander attachment. The drum is about 4" in dia.,and there is a dust chute that mounts just under it. There should also be a little bicycle type hand pump. You inflate the drum to caress the work however much you wish.

Mine was too early to have that attachment,but I am too particular about my sculpture to want one anyway, It tends to sluff over details.

If the sander is in good working order,$250 sounds like a great deal. You need to make sure it hasn't been messed up,though. Check the belt under the table,and the gears it serves for damage, Make sure the sandpaper clamps are o.k..

New conveyor belts are about $30.00 or so.