PDA

View Full Version : Finish for the Inside of a Goblet?

Jack Hogoboom
09-06-2004, 9:24 PM
My nine-year old daughter and I turned a nice little goblet out of cherry today (pictures another time). Any ideas about how to finish the inside so that it's safe to drink out of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

John Shuk
09-09-2004, 12:44 AM
wALNUT OIL MINERAL OIL OR PURE tUNG OIL ARE ALL FOOD SAFE. jUST GIVE THEM SOME TIME TO CURE. wALNUT OIL IS AT THE SUPERMARKET FOR ABOUT $3.00 A BOTTLE. i LIKE IT.

Ernie Kuhn
09-09-2004, 2:39 AM
I've read in several places, mixture of mineral oil and bees wax. I'm not sure of the proportion of the mix but if I remember correctly, it's something like 1/3 bees wax, 2/3 mineral oil. The mineral oil/beeswax mix is heated in a double broiler on the stove. Extreme care is required. I'm sure someone else will jump in that knows a lot more about this.
Ernie

Gary Max
09-09-2004, 7:24 AM
I use plain old Vegetable oil---yah the stuff you got in the house. I just apply it on the lathe. After evrything is good and dry---take it in and wash it with warm water and you are done.

Jim Becker
09-09-2004, 9:29 AM
I use plain old Vegetable oil---yah the stuff you got in the house. I just apply it on the lathe. After evrything is good and dry---take it in and wash it with warm water and you are done.
Vegetable oil can go rancid and isn't the best thing to put on your woodworking projects. For some reason, walnut oil does not have this problem and mineral oil certainly doesn't.
--------

Jack, you can certainly use mineral oil, walnut oil or the mineral oil/paraffin finishes mentioned for "occasional" use of the goblet. But short of encasing it in resin, it's not something I'd suggest to be used on a regular basis. While it's true that folks used wooden vessels for thousands of years, it would not be my choice for a drinking vessel given the nature of the various things that would go in it. Salads are easy...they don't generally contain large amounts of sugars, etc. Drinks are different. IMHO, of course.