PDA

View Full Version : Photograv Help

bob pfohler
08-08-2009, 3:50 PM
I was just given a copy of Photograv and I've been playing with it a little with mixed results.
I've tried cutting out and converting my picture to grayscale in PhotoPaint and Photoshop. The b&w pictures look great but after I process them in Photograv the engraving is only so-so. I've been reversing the image and lasering on mostly black granite using 250 dpi on my ULS3.60 w/50 watts

The suggestions from Photograv is 83%s-100p but the detail is a little blurry and it just doesn't look great.

Can someone share some tips and their process for preparing photos for engraving? Thanks

Dave Lock
08-08-2009, 4:30 PM
I was just given a copy of Photograv and I've been playing with it a little with mixed results.
I've tried cutting out and converting my picture to grayscale in PhotoPaint and Photoshop. The b&w pictures look great but after I process them in Photograv the engraving is only so-so. I've been reversing the image and lasering on mostly black granite using 250 dpi on my ULS3.60 w/50 watts

The suggestions from Photograv is 83%s-100p but the detail is a little blurry and it just doesn't look great.

Can someone share some tips and their process for preparing photos for engraving? Thanks

If you are engraving on black granite you should be inverting the image rather than reversing it.
This will make all the blacks white and all the whites black.
The blacks will now be engraved but will turn the black granite white.

Regards

Dave.

Edit: Actually, if Black Granite is selected as the material in Photograv I think the image gets inverted anyway. In this case ignore the above.

bob pfohler
08-08-2009, 5:13 PM
Sorry, when I said reversing I meant inverting.

Bill Gailey
08-08-2009, 6:39 PM
I have attached the instructions from the LaserTile website on how to prepare a photograph for engraving on granite....hope this helps. It is how I do my tiles instead of using Photograv....

Brian Knuckles
08-10-2009, 2:41 PM
Hey Bob,

I never invert the image when using PhotoGrav

Make sure you have black granite selected in your materials section. I think the default is leather on mine...

Once I process the image, I just import it back into Corel & it works great.

Have you tried engraving the image on something else besides granite? I know some images don't work for me on stone, so to make my life easier I just buy 6 & 8 inch laser tile from lasertile.com

good luck

Tom Bull
08-10-2009, 5:31 PM
This is a very good turorial on engraving granite:
OK, here's some help. Go to http://www.coreldrawpro.com/library/CP-607.pdf
and then go to page 14. That is the granite article. There is also a great article on marble engraving
http://www.coreldrawpro.com/library/CP-707.pdf
go to page 15 for the marble article.