PDA

View Full Version : A 4 jaw chuck and pocket knife I made

george wilson
08-08-2009, 1:41 PM
These photos show a cathead chuck,the 18th.C. equivalent of a 4 jaw chuck. Once again,you see the disregard for safety practiced back then. They even put white lead into rich people's bread to make it look whiter,knowing it was poison.

You were expected to keep your hands away from danger if you were a competent workman. I made this for the treadle lathe in the Gunsmith's shop.Although I made many attachments,including the lathe itself,I only got photos made of this piece.

The Cathead chuck is so called because of the "whiskers" sticking out of it. Anything with protrusions was dubbed a cathead,including the protruding timbers in front of a ship which the anchor was hung from,to keep it from banging into the hull.

Fortunately,this chuck goes on a low powered lathe,but can still tear up your knuckles.

This is a more useful chuck than it might appear. It is capable of holding odd shaped forged pieces such as the tumbler in a gun lock,so that some piece may be turned round.

It also can be adjusted to hold parts at odd angles,which a modern 4 jaw chuck cannot do. Iron was not rolled very true in those days,so an accurate 3 jaw self centering chuck was not considered necessary.The chuck is about 3" in diameter.

The knife was a gift I made for a customer.It is not a copy of any knife,but the design details,and technology were available in the 17th.C.. The half "ram's horn" thumbscrew tightens the blade. The broad blade is typical of many early knives. The turnings in the ivory,and the offset where the blade is joined are also typical of some folding knives,though others did not have the offset. I wanted the knife to look as archaic as possible.The casual stamping of the initials are typical,though the maker's mark was a professionally made 1 piece stamp,and was accurate,provided,of course,that it came from a good maker.

Marc Casebolt
08-09-2009, 12:34 AM
'Tear up your knuckles'? yah I guess so. That thing would scare the heck out of me spinning even on a low powered lathe. I'm pretty careful around spinning stock, but those bolts look like a knuckle magnet.

Thanks for the post,

Marc

philip marcou
08-09-2009, 2:49 AM
George,
I am guessing that the chuck is for a South Bend 9 incher? Did you use cast iron? That is the trouble with that sort of project- one wants to make all kinds of things but having suitable sizes of metal around doesn't seem to happen in my case.

Brian Ashton
08-09-2009, 3:56 AM
George,
I am guessing that the chuck is for a South Bend 9 incher? Did you use cast iron? That is the trouble with that sort of project- one wants to make all kinds of things but having suitable sizes of metal around doesn't seem to happen in my case.

It may not be your cup of tea but I'm sort of in the same boat as you in that a large variety of metals (brass, copper, steel, iron...) are not readily available in anything other than 4M lengths on the east coast of australia. When I lived in Canada I had pretty much anything I wanted at the tip of my fingers, at a good price also! Not like here where they charge like it's gold. But one of my trips back to Canada had me connecting with the guys at a place called Metal Super Market that said they'd send any size anywhere. All I had to do was phone them up and ask for it. I got some copper rod off them and it was at least half the price of what it would have cost here even with shipping. You just have to make sure they ship it by Canada Post or you'll get hit with extortion charges by the couriers. Aluminum is about the only metal not worth the shipping.

george wilson
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
The chuck is an 18th.C. type,and was made for the wooden treadle lathe that I made for the Gunsmith Shop in Williamsburg. It would be very dangerous,indeed on even a smaller motor powered lathe like a 9" South Bend.

The chuck would have been cast originally,but I just turned this one out of solid mild steel. The bolts are hardened steel so their ends won't mushroom.

george wilson
08-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Brian,I have been looking to buy some 260 brass. The price range I have found for a 12" X 12" X 1/4" plate of 260,a very common alloy,ran from $260.00 to about $59.00 for the same exact piece of brass!!