PDA

View Full Version : Agonizing Lathe purchase

Gary Conklin
08-08-2009, 11:50 AM
OK, I am making myself nuts over a lathe purchase, that is just not right.

I have 2 options in front of me and really can't decide which way to go, here are the choices and some of my likes about them.

Jet 1642 1.5hp- I can snag this one for $1579.99- like it for the cost the fact that it is plug and play and the fact that I think it will be easiest to sell for an upgrade.

PM3520B $2959.00 A great lathe

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!! HELP ME. I am making myself nuts over this.

Tony De Masi
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Gary,

Sounds like you are looking to buy a lathe now so you can upgrade in the future. If that's the case then why not save a bit longer for what you want to upgrade to? I have the 3520B and see absolutely no reason I would need/want to upgrade. Just my thoughts.

Tony

Kyle Iwamoto
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Why is it agonizing? If you can spring for the 3520, buy it. I wish I had your problem. :D

If 220 is a problem, then you'll need to buy the non EVS Jet.

I can't afford any of those, but the 2 statements above is my criteria. Not that the EVS is something I wouldn't buy. I'd buy it if I couldn't swing the 3 grand for the PM. I did turn on a PM. VERY sweet machine. You probably won't have to upgrade.

Jusy my .02.

RL Johnson
08-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Gary
What are you going to turn? Most bowls and platters are in the 12-16 inch range and you can only put so many16-20 inch bowls and platter in the house. After all a standard shelf is not going to be deep enough for large pieces but again what are YOU going to turn. If it is pens you may not need the Powermatic.:D
Although I have the 1.5 horse 1642, I believe that I would like the additional power of the 2 horse. But my reason for the 1.5 was the same as you, plug and play, no 220 hook up and it was on sale at a great price.
Any of your short list woudl be a great lathe to turn on, pick one and don't look back.

Jim Underwood
08-08-2009, 1:21 PM
If you have enough for the last one on your list, just get it.

If not, and money is an issue, buy the Jet EVS. Variable speed is the bomb.

Gary Herrmann
08-08-2009, 1:31 PM
I can't speak to the 3520a, I've never turned on it. I've got the 3520b, and if you can afford it, you won't be sorry. You could argue that the Stubby, Oneway and Robust lathes are better, but at twice the price, I don't know that they're twice as good.

Dan Forman
08-08-2009, 2:04 PM
Sounds like you are already thinking upgrade, so might as well just go for the 3520B, and save the money you would lose when you upgrade.

I started out with a Rikon mini, never even plugged it in. Returned it the next day for the Powermatic, never regretted it. If you have the money, go for the Mustard. Once you have the 220, you can get a nice big bandsaw too down the road.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2009, 2:43 PM
Simply Gary. If your shop is all 110 V and you dont' want to upgrade to 220 V then the Jet in my opinion would be the one to buy. If you are going to upgrade your shop to 220 V then go with the 3520B. My shop is all 110 V and at 62 I am not going to upgrade so I got the Nova DVR XP. If I were 20 yrs younger I probably would upgrade and rewire the shop but as it is it will cost me quite a bit to do that.

Bob Bergstrom
08-08-2009, 3:24 PM
Been turning for over 30 years. I have had 6 lathes. Finally made it to a 3520 and can not believe what I was missing. Bang for the buck you can't beat it. Way overbuilt, and solid as a battleship. If you not going to turn over 16" the Jet will do nicely, but there is a marked difference. I have turned on the the Jet and they are a nice lathe. The Powermatic 3520 allows me to turn just about anything I can get in my shop.

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2009, 4:14 PM
Gary - I have the Jet 1642 2 hp lathe and it is a great machine! However - if given the choice of buying my lathe again or the Powermatic 3520B - I would go with the Powermatic. Reason would be the extra mass and more importantly the extra swing. You do not have to turn a 20" bowl to appreciate the extra swing - just being able to rough out an 18" chunk of wood so you can have a 15" or 16" bowl or hollow form - without having to trim down the chunk of wood to gain clearance over the bed is worth serious consideration!

Whatever lathe you decide to go with - given the choices you have listed - you will be happy! Looking forward to seeing the photos/gloat real soon!

alex carey
08-08-2009, 6:16 PM
go for the mustard, you won't regret it.

Terry Gerros
08-08-2009, 7:01 PM
If you are getting the bed extension, tool rest extension and lovely little sign for you wall, the price isn't bad. Without those items, you shouldn't be paying more than 2600.00 for the lathe. I got mine at Western Tool for 2960..including bed extension, dust collector, tool rest extension and of course the sign, which at the time I thought was dumb....but after 4 months, I put it on the wall....yes, I admit, I like it. Check around because they will deal with you on the price. I absolutely love the lathe and have never thought twice about any others. I also have the Jet 1236 which is also a great lathe, but twice as loud as my PM 3520B.

Chris Haas
08-08-2009, 9:16 PM
get the jet, buy tools for it like the monster hollowing rigs, if you want to upgrade in the future, keep an eye open on craigslist, every now and then you will find a pm4224 for 3k or a oneway lathe for pennies on the dollar. to just get turning on an upgraded lathe, the jet will not leave you wanting. its a great lathe, i have the 1.5 hp and i am totally happy with it. personally i would rather spend the extra cash in accessories for my lathe than for the pm3520b.

Dick Sowa
08-08-2009, 9:21 PM
I went through the same agony a couple years ago. I wanted the 1642, and even placed an order with a local tool distributor. Turned out there was a backlog and something like 8 week delay before I could get it. I though about it more for a few days, and opted for the 3520b, and have never looked back.

Like others have said, if you can afford it, you will never be sorry. It's likely the last lathe you will ever need. It can do everything you could ask of a lathe, and then some.

Only two shortcomings that I have found. First, to turn long spindles, you really need to get the bed extension. But in my years of flat work, and spindle turning, the only long spindles I turned were doweled together in shorter pieces...never needed a longer bed. And second, 220V. If you can't get 220 to the lathe, it's not gonna be an option.

Richard Madison
08-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Gary,
It's simple. If you can reasonably afford the $$ without sacrificing other priorities and family needs, just get the PM. Problem solved.

Mike Peace
08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I went thru the same agony. Decided to buy the 3520b 18 mos ago and am delighted I did.

Gary Conklin
08-10-2009, 1:11 PM
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/ARP/ARP123/drum2_c.jpghttp://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/ARP/ARP123/drum2_c.jpghttp://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/ARP/ARP123/drum2_c.jpghttp://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/ARP/ARP123/drum2_c.jpg

I will be placing my order for a Mustard Mistress tomorrow afternoon on lunch!!!!http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/images/smilies/OrangeMedium/Drogar-BigGrin(DBG).gifhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/images/smilies/OrangeMedium/Drogar-BigGrin(DBG).gifhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/images/smilies/OrangeMedium/Drogar-BigGrin(DBG).gif

Terry Gerros
08-11-2009, 1:33 AM
Hi Gary,

Yes, the Mustard Mistress, she has it all. You will never lose a moments sleep over this purchase.

Terry

Terry Gerros
08-11-2009, 1:33 AM
Hi Gary,

Yes, the Mustard Mistress, she has it all. Congradulations!!! You will never lose a moments sleep over this purchase.

Terry

alex carey
08-11-2009, 2:01 AM
congrats, its totally worth it.

Harlan Coverdale
08-11-2009, 4:57 AM
Has anybody suggested the PM yet? I didn't think so. I hear they're good. :p

Congrats, you won't regret the decision. At least I know I haven't since i got mine. :)

Scott Hubl
08-11-2009, 4:36 PM
You WON'T be sorry you bought the 3520B.

Congrats on the GOLD!