PDA

View Full Version : King vs Steel City 26" Dual Drum Sander

Glenn Frazer
08-08-2009, 8:15 AM
Does anyone know any specific differences between the king industrial KC-26DS and the Steel city version? To me they appear to be clones, however I'm well aware that Steel city generally includes the longer warranty and some more premium components on their machines than king. Retail on these sanders are 2000$ and $2700 respectively in Canada, jet and performax are not an option (nothing local) Any opinions? (Also have found a used king sander for 850 with sandpaper)

Bruce Page
08-08-2009, 1:01 PM
I’d be willing to bet that the only difference is the name and price.

Isn’t King a fairly common brand name in Canada?

John Thompson
08-08-2009, 8:02 PM
Appear to come off the same mold. I would go with cheaper but... I would first take a hard look at the used King...

Good luck...

Darius Ferlas
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
King has two product lines, one of them called Industrial and it sells well as the quality and comparable to the likes of General.

I have a King Industrial jointer and the thing is very well made, precise out of the box (so to speak, since I bough a floor model without any boxes). The jointer and the result if yields make me look like I know what I'm doing.

Before I got a very good deal on a used General band saw I was seriously considering a King version. Given the price, quality and availability of parts and service everybody locally suggested I should get a King over General.

I can't speak for the particular sander as I don't know much about it, never had one and never will, but if it's about Kings quality of build, durability and value I would not think twice about getting King if the price is right, and as long as the particular piece of equipment is of their Industrial line.

Glenn Frazer
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I reread my first post and realized, wow I can't type. The used sander is $850 and a two hour drive, and appears to have been used in a cabinet making business as per ad. Is there anything that can really go wrong with these to look out for then sand paper (not epxpecting much so none issue) and conveyor belt condition. As for the mechanicals I'd assume a good test would check the condition of drive and feed motors. If anyone has used and of these 26" sanders out of taiwan any issues to look out for, thanks Glenn

King has been a common line in Canada, a value Steel City persay with less warranty and on many cast iron parts a bit more of a lower value with less polished surfaces and cheaper knobs/handles, but @ a 45 % premium (not accounting for the used machine in that) is the steel city worth it? It looks to me to be alot to pay for the warranty on this particular machine. (I have a steel city planer and jointer so I'm not dismisissing them in any way)

Ken Garlock
08-09-2009, 1:22 PM
Hi Glenn.

Before you decide on either brand sander, take a look at the Woodmaster 26" drum sander (http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/specs1.cfm). From time to time I get a sales email from them, and they are having some deep discount sales, like 50% off. Business is slow.... Woodmaster tools are made in Kansas City, USA. Yes, MADE, not imported and relabeled. They have US made Leeson Electric motors, and in the case of the 26" sander, it is a 5 HP motor. If the drum sander is anything like my 18" Woodmaster 18" planer/sander, it is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.:)

Worth a look.....:cool:

Mike Cutler
08-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Glenn

I've never actually heard of the King line of machines, but I do own that Steel City Drum sander,and it is a beast. You can do some really fine work with it, and you can really mess up some wood quick if you're not paying attention. It's very powerful for a light duty sander.

There are two things I don't like about my sander;

1. It takes a really odd OEM sized abrasive roll, 5.125", and if you buy them from Steel city they'll run you about $15.00 American a strip.
2. I don't like that the feed belt is interlocked with the drum sander, and requires that the drums be rotating to turn on the feed belt. I was used to my Performax and could set the initial drum height by feeding the material without the drum rolling. Not so with my Steel City.