PDA

View Full Version : My wife is golden!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-06-2004, 7:36 PM
She has laid down the law, I am to get the cabinet saw shopping done tonite and SHE'S gonna pay for the whole thing!! http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/cool.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/cool.gifhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Question is (for cabinet makers especially). Should I get a left tilt w/7' rails or a right tilt with a sliding table setup?

Frank Pellow
09-06-2004, 7:54 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you.

RANDY PAULK
09-06-2004, 8:10 PM
I Have The Pm66 With The Excaliber Sliding Table. I Have Been Using It Two Years And Could Not Be Happier. I Must Admit Though That I Also Have An Older Saw With The Longer Rails And A Right Hand Tilt Blade That I Hardly Ever Use Since Purchasing The Pm.

Brian Hale
09-06-2004, 8:21 PM
I really like my left tilt and 7' rails! I'll also be adding a sliding table in the next year or so so i can "have it all"...

Proud Bridgewood owner...
Brian

Doug Jones
09-06-2004, 8:38 PM
So is your future saw going to match your wife, GOLDEN?
Congrats,,,

Mike Mortenson
09-06-2004, 9:51 PM
Left Tilt is the best way to go.

Jim Becker
09-06-2004, 9:52 PM
Congratulations, Kelly! Keep her! And make her something really nice with that new saw, too.

Hmm...left-tilt is usually my preference. I'd make an exception on that for a true slider (Euro design) if I were doing a lot of sheet goods as they are only right tilt and it's appropriate for that format. If you're going to use a slider with a US-design table saw, you'll have more options with a right-tilt saw, but the Excalibur can be used with a left-tilt, such as the PM-66. If you do a lot of ripping with a bevel, than I definitely prefer left-tilt...

Waymon Campbell
09-06-2004, 10:31 PM
Kelly - Congrats... that is one special wife. I wonder if she would consider teaching a class to all the other wives here. You know, something like "How to be a Woodworker's Wife 101" :D :D .

Paul B. Cresti
09-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Kelly,
I know you do this professionally also so, at least look at and consider a European slider. I sold my Unisaw for my current Minimax machine. It has metal working machine accuracy, it handles sheet goods like a breeze and if you want to rip on it like a regular cabinet saw well it is more accurate. I thought the Biesemeyer fence was the tops until I used this fence. In addition my crosscutting ability is now scary accurate. I will admit, they are pricey, but after you use one and see what it can do for you, you will forget about the pricetag.
Good luck in you choice.

Byron Trantham
09-07-2004, 12:20 AM
Kelly,
Congrats!! :D

Kelly C. Hanna
09-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I wish we had the pockets (and room) for a Euroslider, I can appreciate the quality there, but I knew the cost would have to come in under the $1500 mark. So we pulled the trigger on the Grizzly 1023 S and the slider table that fits it as well as the Shop Fox mobile base.

Thanks to Frank for the first congrats. Are you back from the camp?

Jim, I will make her something very nice after this random act of kindness. I was willing to save until the winter to get it...I thought about the bevel issue and while I love the left tilt, I realized I don't really use it that much at the home shop. I have the Ridgid jobsite saw for the bevels and it was cheaper to get the Grizzly slider for the right tilt saw than to have to step up to a slider that will fit the left tilter.

I did get a golden saw...any cabinet saw is better than the jobsite model I work off of daily!! I would love to have a PM66 withe the overarm blade guard and a slider, but hey, we ain't rich!

Paul, I will work up that level eventually. Hopefully in a few years I wil have an external shop with the best names inside.

As to the wife, you bet I'll keep her!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-07-2004, 12:48 AM
You are one lucky man, Kelly! A wife, a new cabinet saw and she's paying for it?.........One Awfully Lucky Man!

Mark Singer
09-07-2004, 1:08 AM
Kelly,
The PM 66 is always a good choice....congradulations!

Greg Daves
09-07-2004, 2:31 AM
Kelly,

I was going to offer coming to visit...I have a left tilt Uni that I really love. Not sure if the same deal exists, but I got it from Woodworkers Supply with free delivery and 10% discount for first time buyers...seems like I paid a little over $1200. It was a Limited Edition, so it came with the mobile base. Whatever you decide, you done good!

GD

Frank Pellow
09-07-2004, 7:11 AM

Thanks to Frank for the first congrats. Are you back from the camp?

Yes I am back Kelly. I will be restarting work on my shop in about an hour.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-07-2004, 8:12 AM
Great, I'll bet you're glad to get back to it!

Frank Pellow
09-07-2004, 9:29 AM
Great, I'll bet you're glad to get back to it!

I am. :) But I would be happier if it were not raining. :( Being a fair-weather roofer, I am certainly not going to get to work on my roof today.