PDA

View Full Version : maple cd cabinet

Andrew Hughes
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
I have been getting some of my photos together for a portfolio.
Here is a hardmaple cd cabinet in 07 or 08 cant remember.All from the same plank 10ft long 10inch wide 2 thick.It will hold 90 cds.

John Keeton
08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Andrew, that has some really neat features - aside from the obvious "one board build." I really like the way would have done the dovetails (appear to be hand cut?) with the overhang on the top and bottom, and the curved underside of the top to accommodate the door - details, details, details. The difference between production and art!

Very nice. What is the finish if you recall?

Andrew Hughes
08-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks john,i think it was shellac blond and wax.

Ed Sallee
08-08-2009, 12:48 PM
That looks really nice, Andrew. Excellent job lining up the grain on the front!

It looks like it was a fun project - practical too.

John Thompson
08-08-2009, 7:53 PM
Very nice Andrew. Obviously you are a serious CD man as that is a serious sized cabinet to hold them. I like the concept of the one board build any you handled the details rather well.

Andrew Hughes
08-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.It was a fun challenging project for me.I sold the cabinet after it was displayed in the la county fair.The money went toward a new jointer.Last year my jointer threw a new set of knives.Forgot to wipe off the oil.The knives were solid carbide.I still find pieces.Scary stuff. Thanks again.

Joe Leigh
08-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Beautiful job Andrew. Clean, classy and clutter free...
Can I ask the selling price?

Andrew Hughes
08-09-2009, 1:34 PM
I wanted two but got one thousand.

John Keeton
08-09-2009, 1:44 PM
Andrew, that was a very low price! Fine wood, and excellent craftsmanship, but more importantly, that is a very unique design and it is my feeling that an artist should get paid for that ability, in addition to the actual WORK that is done. It is difficult to accomplish that in some markets, but nonetheless, that was a beautiful piece that has graced someone's home. I suspect the actual function of the piece may have limited the market to music aficionados.

Keith Christopher
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Well done ! Love the dovetails !

Andrew Hughes
08-10-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the compliment keith.I did sell it at half the price i wanted.I really don't like selling my work.But that's what happens to me me when i don't have a buyer before i start on something.And that happens to me alot.Always working always hoping.Maybe there's a program out there for someone like me?:)