PDA

View Full Version : Amboyna Burl

Jon Lanier
08-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Turned this a few days ago. Amboyna Burl, Jr. Gent/Rollerball Pen.

Keith Christopher
08-08-2009, 5:42 AM
GREAT looking pen !

ron hossack
08-08-2009, 7:35 AM
Now that is really nice

Jim McFarland
08-08-2009, 9:09 AM
Beautiful pen! Hard to beat Amboyna burl

Steve Schlumpf
08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Beautiful pen as always Jon! Is that the natural color of the wood or did you enhance it somehow? Very rich looking! Thanks for sharing!

David Walser
08-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Jon,

That's a very nice pen. How was the amboyna burl to turn? I turned some thuya burl earlier this year and I was surprised how cleanly it cut -- as long as you took a light cut. A heavy cut would simply lift out some of the burl's eyes. Was the amboyna burl the same way or was all the swirling grain a problem?

Brian Novotny
08-08-2009, 11:06 AM
I've never seen that wood turned before. WOW! and a classy pen taboot! That pen actually makes me want to turn pens:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
08-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Jon that is a beautiful pen. I really like turning amboyna especially because it cuts nice with light cuts and when you apply a finish it just jumps out at you. Great job on some nice wood.

Jon Lanier
08-08-2009, 4:00 PM
Beautiful pen as always Jon! Is that the natural color of the wood or did you enhance it somehow? Very rich looking! Thanks for sharing!

Steve,

Thank you. That is all natural, all I did with it was to put a CA finish on it. I actually had even better looking pen that I used a Statesman kit with. I gave that one to a friend and the wood was about the same color, just had more pop to it. (forgot to take a picture of it)

-Jon

Jon Lanier
08-08-2009, 4:01 PM
Jon,

That's a very nice pen. How was the amboyna burl to turn? I turned some thuya burl earlier this year and I was surprised how cleanly it cut -- as long as you took a light cut. A heavy cut would simply lift out some of the burl's eyes. Was the amboyna burl the same way or was all the swirling grain a problem?

David,

I would say it is about the same. I've turned both. But remember I use stabilized blanks, so that does help.

-Jon

Jon Lanier
08-08-2009, 4:02 PM
Thanks everyone.