PDA

View Full Version : laminate trim routers

Michael Conner
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I would like to buy a laminate trim router. Most use will be in flush trimming face frames and light round overs. I hear a lot about the Bosch Colt, but the Ridgid seems to fit my hand better. What are your opinons of the two? Are there any known problems with the Ridgid?

Bruce Wrenn
08-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't have the Ridgid ones, but I do have a couple of the Colts. Picked them up in pawn shops for $40 and $60 respectively. I have five or six of the PC 7310's. If you REMEMBER to fill out paper work, the Ridgid has a lifetime service agreement, which means you will never have to pay to fix it. Go by the post office and get a "moving kit." In there is a Lowes 10% off coupon, which HD will gladely take.

Bill Huber
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I had 3 different Ridgids and they get so hot you can't hold them in your hand without gloves on. I like the feel of it and it fit my hand but it was just to hot to handle.

I got the Colt and never looked back, I am so glad I did. I love the Colt, it handles very well and has the power to do things I didn't think it would.

The only thing with the Colt is the height adjustment, it take a little getting used to, once you do then its works just fine.

Dolan Brown
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I have a couple of the $17 ones from Harbor Freight. They work great for lettering, light roundovers, inlays, etc. I made 9" and 12" clear bases with handles and this give me good stabilty. I have run them for an hour at a time and they are still going strong.

Brian Kent
08-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Sam Maloof used a pair of Bosch's.

Cary Falk
08-08-2009, 12:08 AM
I have the Ridgid and I agree with bill that it gets too hot in your hand. Rockler is closing out the Porter Cable 7310 for $49.99. I picked up one last Sat. at the local store. They have them on the website. I haven't used it yet but it can't be all that bad for $50.
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/73999-01-200.jpg

Kyle Iwamoto
08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Ryobi from the BORG? I think it's a good buy.... Not the best. Pretty cheap, when I picked it up.

Steve Rozmiarek
08-08-2009, 1:46 AM
Doubt this is much help, but I hate routers in general. Loud, ill-balanced, dangerous, nasty things, but I really do like my Colt. Good little tool IMHO.

Simon Dupay
08-08-2009, 3:51 AM
If you can find one, the PC 310 is best out there, there might be some still available out there.

Russ Boyd
08-08-2009, 8:30 AM
I have a PC (older model) that I don't like the way it adjusts. I have a Bosch colt that I'm not completely sold on either, and I have a Ridgid which I love. I have never had a heat issue with it, it's easy to adjust and stays adjusted. I use it for almost the same reasons you state, light roundovers etc.. It has worked extremely well for me. The other two I just keep for dedicated bits such as a 1/4" RO and the other for just laminates even though I'm ready to get another Ridgid for that purpose.

John McClanahan
08-08-2009, 8:52 AM
I have a Ridgid, and I find changing bits to be a pain, trying to get two wrenches in the small area around the collet. It needs a spindle lock.

John

johnny means
08-08-2009, 8:58 AM
I have both the Colt a.d the Ridgid and I love both (for what they are).

The ridgid is a laminate trimmer and really not designed for doing profile cuts. The cylinder and sleeve design always stays square (unlike the PC model) and it's super easy to handle when trimming over,under, around, behind whatever. It light on power and I guess it would get hot if I chucked up a 1/2" round over bit (which I would bet is what some of these guys have been doing).

The Colt is a great little router for hinge mortising and other delicate jobs. IMO it's base and motor are to small for any thing but the occasional light profile. Ithink the Colt is better as a niche filler for the guy who already has ten routers.

I recommend the Ridgid, seeing as how easy it is to use and that it's a rugged little design that can withstand a few drops. BTW mine served for several yearsvin a laminate shop before I became a fulltime furniture builder.

Brad Townsend
08-08-2009, 9:41 AM
I had one of the early production Colts that had centering issues with the spindle in relation to the base. Made using guides with it impossible. I returned it. I understand that issue has been corrected, but I replaced it at the time with a Ridgid and have been happy ever since. It is very comfortable to grip. I have not noticed the heat buildup, but perhaps I have not used it the way others do. I would agree that the Bosch is more powerful and more versatile. Guess it depends on how you are going to use it.

Cary Falk
08-08-2009, 10:19 AM
It light on power and I guess it would get hot if I chucked up a 1/2" round over bit (which I would bet is what some of these guys have been doing).

You would lose that bet.

Larry Fox
08-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Doubt this is much help, but I hate routers in general. Loud, ill-balanced, dangerous, nasty things, but I really do like my Colt. Good little tool IMHO.

+1 here. The router is my least favorite tool. I have the colt and with a couple of Pat Warner sub-bases it is a good tool. Another poster mentioned the height adjustment on the colt and I agree completely. It does take a lot of getting used to. I use mine for creating hinge mortises and leave it setup with the same bit as much as I can so I don't have to fool around adjusting the height.

Oh, also, if you are doing and precision work like inlays or hinge setting make sure you get the centering pin. You will be surprised how out of wack things really are.

glenn bradley
08-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I love the Colt. I use two wrenches. Bosch sent the second wrench free when requested via email. Pat Warner's offset base is a great addition. I bought the round one too but have yet to use it. Height adjustment is an acquired skill; I generally skip it unless I am after a very fine adjustment like when doing inlay.

Casey Gooding
08-08-2009, 9:28 PM
I love my Colt. Didn't like the Ridgid. It gets really hot and is prone to go out of adjustment.

Michael Conner
08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the great response. I would have never thought about the heat build-up in the Ridged. That is a shame too as the ridgid is so comfortable in my hand. These are the kinds of comments I was looking for. Thanks again.

Brice Burrell
08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd guess the heat issue with the Ridgid is from arcing from the brushes. Brushes need to be broken in, taking the round shape of the armature. Before this happens the brushes and armature can arc causing heat. With a few hours use this problem will likely go away. BTW, I have the Ridgid and I've not experienced this problem.

Mike Henderson
08-08-2009, 11:20 PM
I'd guess the heat issue with the Ridgid is from arcing from the brushes. Brushes need to be broken in, taking the round shape of the armature. Before this happens the brushes and armature can arc causing heat. With a few hours use this problem will likely go away. BTW, I have the Ridgid and I've not experienced this problem.
It's inconceivable that any arcing that occurs could generate sufficient heat to be noticed by the user.

And in any case, arcing is generally not caused by ill fitting brushes. As the brush "disconnects" from a commutator segment, the magnetic field in the coil collapses and causes a high voltage spike which causes the arc. A well designed motor will have minimum sparking, however, but on all universal motors you'll see some sparking on the brushes.

Mike