PDA

View Full Version : Do I remember screen doors correctly?

Stephen Tashiro
08-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I seem to remember, in my youth, seeing screen doors that had a diagonal wire brace on them, which went from the corner near the top hinge to the lower corner of the door. I've not see such braces on screen doors in modern times. Am I remembering this correctly? If so, why did the diagonal brace vanish? - improvements in making the corners of the door rigid?

Charlie Plesums
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't know why they disappeared, but that is a great way to reinforce a gate or door, if you can stand the appearance. You have the direction right...

If it is a tension support (wire or turnbuckle) it runs from the top hinge to the middle or bottom (some doors had a separate wire from the middle hinge to the bottom).

If it is a compression support (a board), it runs the other way - from the top outside to the middle or bottom hinge.

I just rebuilt a gate in my son's fence - the professional installers had the diagonal supports the wrong way. When I took the wrong support out, jacked up the gate to square, and put the same board in the other way, the gate was suddenly solid, no sag.

Bruce Wrenn
08-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Screen doors tended to "sag" over the years, from their own weight. Newer ones are made lighter, plus by splining the "fiberglass" screen in, you create a "panel." Worst thing I ever saw was a screen door made from finger joint material that didn't use water resistant glue. Thankfully (for me) the customer furnished them, and I only hung them. A tropical storm came through, and door literally fell apart. Little pieces 6-8" long. Customer didn't find it as funny as I did. Guy at Lowes found it even less funny when she went in to COMPLAIN (polite term.) Gave her back purchase price, and installation labor costs too. A true case of "The wheel that squeaks the loudest gets greased first."

Bill Huber
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
I remember them well.

When I was a kid I kept turning it and turning it and split the joint on the back screen door, Dad was not to happy....

http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/73-450-screen-door-braces/screen-and-storm-door-brace-642244.aspx

Cody Colston
08-08-2009, 6:28 AM
If so, why did the diagonal brace vanish? - improvements in making the corners of the door rigid?

That diagonal brace probably went the same place as the screen door. I don't see many of them any more...doors or braces. ;)

Peter Quinn
08-08-2009, 8:15 AM
I remember the diagonal braces. I seem to remember some with cables and some with galvanized rods. I think they could be adjusted to compensate for sag over time. I don't think the weight of the screen taxes the frame so much as the glass storm panels, so maybe the turn buckles could be adjusted seasonally? It seems most wooden storm doors are designed with very narrow stiles and minimal rails to maximize visibility, which minimizes strength. I know the shop I work in has made a few wooden storms without braces, but i think they were a bit more 'robust' in terms of their frames? I know my aluminum storms do not sag and seal quite well. What they lack in terms of aesthetics they make up for in terms of performance. The good ones have a continuous piano hinge that keeps things in place.

Craig McCormick
08-08-2009, 8:42 AM
Stephan,

The brace you are remembering is still available at some hardware and home centers. I remember the screen door at our old cabin in northern Michigan had a screen door with that same type of brace. I am going to be building a screen door this spring to mimic the one on the old cabin. I even want it to close with a WHACK. Lots of good memories of childhood summers spent in Michigan. The screen door will be a daily reminder of those times.

The screen doors made in the 30's and 40's had screen made of bronze. The bronze screen is still available. If you spray it with automotive clear coat it will keep it from oxidizing and remain brilliant for years to come.

Craig

Steve Rozmiarek
08-08-2009, 9:40 AM
The one I remember best was painted many times, but green when I was there, had that bronze screen, and a spring to provide the whack that Craig mentioned. My Grandfather had also added various bits of metal to reinforce the joints over the many years, on top of the turnbuckle brace.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I was about age 4 and I was doing an engineering test on that diagonal brace on the screendoor on my maternal grandparent's farm in southern Indiana. The brace seem to be holding up well. My maternal grandfather was ignoring my test and results. My maternal grandmother decided the door didn't need testing and advised me to cease and desist with my efforts. I must have been as nearly deaf then as now. After 3 warnings Grandma took things into her own hands......well one hand IIRC..to the seat of my pants....

At which time, my hero and father stepped in.....informed Grandma she was being a little harsh....at which she became offended. Shortly thereafter, Dad and I left for our home in southern Illinois while Mom and my brother and sisters remained with my maternal grandparents for a longer visit.

Those door braces worked well and springs could really make them slam shut!

Mitchell Andrus
08-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Stephan,

I even want it to close with a WHACK. Lots of good memories of childhood summers spent in Michigan. The screen door will be a daily reminder of those times.

Same here. I remember seeing one of those 'C' shaped spring loaded catches at a hardware store not too long ago. I always like the noise the spring made as the door opened.

Howard Acheson
08-08-2009, 11:57 AM
They still make the braces. I have one one in put on my porch door. The adhesive used on older wood doors tended to fail over time. The screws also tended to loosen. Between the two, the doors would sag so the diagonal braces were a fairly common and practical solution.

Todays aluminum or aluminun clad doors are much more rigid and durable so diagonal bracing is not needed.

Steven DeMars
08-08-2009, 12:47 PM
When I was a kid we used to ride them . . . I think that contributed to the sagging a good bit . . .

They just don't build things as well today . . .

Steve:)

Rick Potter
08-09-2009, 1:38 AM
Funny, my wife mentioned just the other day, that when we get the addition done, she wants an old fashioned wooden screen door, home made of course.

Rick Potter

Larry Edgerton
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM
I have been getting increasingly more requests for screen doors that have this feature, as well as the door spring that made that really cool noise that many of our grandmothers house had. It is hard to find a good wood screen door on the market, well except if they call me.;)

Rick Potter
08-09-2009, 3:38 PM
Sounds to me like you should do an article on screen door construction. Pleeeeze?

Rick Potter

Bill Huber
08-09-2009, 3:46 PM
And remember those little things that you could put on them to keep them closed and not blow open.

When the door hint the first roller it would pop over and hold the door closed.

Then there was always someone that would flip it over and the door would not close.... I don't know who that kid was.:rolleyes:

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-09-2009, 4:20 PM
Turnbuckles are available in all sizes.

I'd guess they faded from view because new metal doors were sturdier ( ha ha ha ) and of course the turnbuckles suddenly became outre because of their down home bonhomie appearance was too much like what Grandmother had and not upscale looking enough.

My screen doors are all wood.

harry strasil
08-09-2009, 4:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/other/360df2.jpg