PDA

View Full Version : Sharp-Fast Tool Guide?

David Stratton
08-07-2009, 5:02 PM
It does not appear that anyone has been bragging on this gouge guide that I can locate. I have watched their video and it looks to me to be a pretty well thought out sharpening jig. Does anyone out there own one or have ever used one. I need a gouge jig to use with my Oneway basic system and kind of like the look and adjustability of this jig. All comments are welcome. Thanks

Steve Mellott
08-15-2009, 11:39 AM
I used one last week at a woodturning class. Its a nice tool, but in my opinion, it does not provide any significant functionality that is not provided by the Vari-Grind jig which I think is cheaper. On the other hand, there were other people in the class who really liked it and have decided to buy it. it would be great if you could find a store or woodturner in your area where you could demo the various tools before you make the purchase decision.

Steve

Tim McClelland
08-15-2009, 1:50 PM
When you say Shapr Fast I'm not sure if you are referring to the one that is similar to the wolverine system that is used with a low speed grinding wheel or if you mean the Work Sharp where the grinding surface is horizontal. I have the Sharp Fast which was a bit cheaper than the wolverine but have been impressed recently with the Work Sharp (either the 2000 or the 3000). Part of me wishes that I had known about this system and purchased it instead. I do get good results with my Sharp Fast but then again I am a beginner and not quite so picky about it.