PDA

View Full Version : PRG or titebond for M&T joints

Bill Wyko
08-07-2009, 4:56 PM
I just did the bent laminations for the project I'm on and found the Plastic Resin Glue to be strong as a rock. My question is, would it be a good glue for the Domino in a mortise and loose tenon joint or should I stick with Titebond II? I really like the way the PRG sands and matches the wood coloration of this poject.

Cody Colston
08-07-2009, 5:08 PM
I've only used the PRG for bent laminations but I've watched David Marks (on Woodworks) use it on all sorts of joints when he had a complicated glue-up...including loose tenon joinery.

I certainly don't think glue strength is an issue compared to PVA glues. I believe it has more to do with ease of use since there's no mixing with PVA's.

Howard Acheson
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
A urea formaldehyde adhesive can certainly be as a substiture for a PVA adhesive. In our shop it was the most commonly used adhesive. It was used for all panel glue ups to eliminate raised glue lines.

The down side is that it is very intolerant of temperatures below 70 degrees and it requires long clamping times.

Gary Muto
08-08-2009, 9:32 PM
What causes the raised glue lines? I built a piece if furniture a few years ago and noticed a raise glue line on the bottom (only) of a table top. There are three tops and it only occurs on one of three joints on one table top (bottom). Thsi same top has also developed a crown so it is convex on the top and concave on the bottom.