PDA

View Full Version : Belt Drive vs variable speed

Joe Mioux
08-07-2009, 3:17 PM
Currently, I have a nova 1624, but I have the itch to upgrade.

I like what I have with the exception of having to change the belt on the pulleys to change speeds.

Is this annoyance enough of a reason to upgrade to say a larger lathe or isn't this minor annoyance enough to justify an upgrade?

Basically, I am just looking for some pros and con comments about upgrading to a variable speed from a pulley/belt system

thanks
joe

Ray Binnicker
08-07-2009, 3:29 PM
Joe,
That is the EXACT reason I upgraded from an older, albeit a dependable older Delta lathe, to a PM 3520B. There is a lot to be said for the conveinence of VS. I don't regret for one moment moving up.
My 2 cents.
Ray Binnicker

Lance kanaby
08-07-2009, 3:32 PM
Sounds like you have some extra money and it is burning a hole in your pocket. Most lathes that have elctronical variable speed also have multiple speed ranges and you will need to chage a belt on these lathes. The Nova DVR XP is the only lathe that I know of that you can speed and has only one speed range.:)

David Walser
08-07-2009, 4:24 PM
Joe,

When I think of variable speed's advantages, avoiding the need to change belts is NOT one of the advantages. My VS lathe, a Woodfast, has 5 belt ranges. So, I still change the belt every now and again. Here's what I like about VS in no particular order:

Ability to get "exactly" the right speed. Sometimes the next pulley is too fast and the current one is too slow. VS allows you to dial in the speed that is just right -- because it reduces harmonic vibration or for whatever.
Ability to start out slow. Whether you've got an out of balance blank on the lathe or not, it's sometimes nice to be able to start things spinning at a low RPM and then bring it up to speed by twisting the dial. Sort of like a "soft start" on your router, only for your lathe.
Ability to slow the RPMs down for sanding and finishing. I like to "power sand" at a low speed so I don't heat up the wood and the sandpaper. Sometimes I also like to let a lacquer finish "cure" while the the object spins very slowly on the lathe. This can help prevent sags and runs in the finish. You can do that with VS, you can't with a step pulley system.

Those are my reasons. You might have others.

Alan Trout
08-07-2009, 4:33 PM
Joe, you might consider installing a 2HP motor with a VFD on your 1624. It would make an excellent variable speed lathe. That is what was done on the Nova 3000 for a long time and it worked great. I know there have been a few people that have done that to their Nova 1624's.

It will save a few bucks to boot.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2009, 6:15 PM
Joe - I started out with a belt drive lathe and eventually upgraded to a variable speed for all the same reasons that David listed. Being able to move the speed just a touch - either direction - to stop vibration was my main reason for purchasing a variable speed lathe!

Alan Tolchinsky
08-07-2009, 9:05 PM
Joe, you might consider installing a 2HP motor with a VFD on your 1624. It would make an excellent variable speed lathe. That is what was done on the Nova 3000 for a long time and it worked great. I know there have been a few people that have done that to their Nova 1624's.

It will save a few bucks to boot.

Alan

Alan, Any idea how much that would cost? I might look into that too.

Reed Gray
08-07-2009, 9:27 PM
There are two things I consider to be necessities for a lathe, sliding headstock (which is a preference, but not a necessity to all), and true variable speed. There is no substitute for it, and once you have it you will never go back. As a bowl turner, pulleys will work for some situations, but there are so many others that they will only do 'close'. As far as changing pulleys on my Robust, which has 3 speed ranges, it isn't a problem as almost all of the time I can set one speed and turn for hours without the need to change.

robo hippy

Rich Aldrich
08-07-2009, 9:40 PM
Alan, Any idea how much that would cost? I might look into that too.

I have checked into this option. I was looking at an ABB drive, 2HP for about $170. The input is single phase 220 V with 3 phase output. You also have to buy a 3 phase motor for $150 to $175. There may be some other costs to consider like wiring the 220V circuit.

I dont have a lathe yet, but let me know if and when you want to sell yours.

Thanks,

Rich

Alan Trout
08-08-2009, 3:25 AM
Alan,

A 3phase c face motor such as a high quality Leason will run you about $250 and and VFD will be about $200. So with building a remote control box it could probably be done for about $500 and it would be a first rate setup.

Good Luck

Alan

Chris Rae
08-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I also have the Nova 1624 and I believe Nova sells just the head for the DVR XP for those who want to upgrade to variable speed. Not sure what it costs though.

Gary Herrmann
08-08-2009, 1:35 PM
Joe, I started with a Fisch mini lathe. Nice little lathe, no VS. I got used to changing belts. Last summer I upgraded to a 3520b. VS is a very, very nice thing to have. I don't know that it's a necessity - I still use the Fisch for pens on occasion, but it makes the process of turning, sanding, finishing much more seamless and pleasant, IMO.

Richard Madison
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Joe,
Virtually no one who has an electronic variable speed lathe would voluntarily "go back". That said, it seems too pricey (to me) to buy another new lathe of the same size just to get EVS. Chris' or Alan's suggestions seem more reasonable.

But if you also want to go bigger as well as have EVS, then the 3520B might be the right way to go.

Like Steve, I had a belt-change lathe for many years before getting a 1642EVS2, only used the two lowest speeds, and belt changes didn't bother me. My problem with that lathe was that the slowest speed was way too fast for the work I wanted to do. The Jet and PM do have two belt positions (speed ranges), but I think most folks never change between ranges. I have never used the high range except to check run when it was new.

Skip Spaulding
08-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Joe, I have a 1624 and am going with vfd and 2hp motor, I have all the materials together, just need to finish a bathroom remodel before starting on lathe. My wife has been very patient but 6 weeks without a 2nd floor sink is a bit of a strain! After 42 years of putting up with me, I do feel I should finish the bathroom before starting on the lathe! Will let you know how upgrade comes out.

Steve Harder
08-09-2009, 1:18 PM
Skip - I'd appreciate the details of motor and VFD that you are using - I hope to upgrade my 1624 and choosing the correct motor is one of my first decisions.

Skip Spaulding
08-09-2009, 4:37 PM
I don,t mean to take over Joe,s thread but this does kind of fit in.
Steve, I purchased a WEG 2hp., 145TC frame, TEFC, 1800rpm., 208-230v./460v., premium efficiency, C flange, cast iron frame motor, rated 20:1 constant torque, for vfd control. This is probably a little over kill but I think I will be able to get good speed control and torque without changing the belt position very often, also I think the added weight of cast iron won't hurt and the ribs on the motor casing may help dissipate heat at lower rpm. I will have to get the motor pulley reamed out to 7/8 for the new motor. I think the original motor is metric. I think the "C" face will bolt to the existing mount on the lathe. Haven't had time to get at it yet!

Steve Harder
08-09-2009, 7:17 PM
And what VFD are you using?

Joe Mioux
08-09-2009, 7:44 PM
Joe, I have a 1624 and am going with vfd and 2hp motor, I have all the materials together, just need to finish a bathroom remodel before starting on lathe. My wife has been very patient but 6 weeks without a 2nd floor sink is a bit of a strain! After 42 years of putting up with me, I do feel I should finish the bathroom before starting on the lathe! Will let you know how upgrade comes out.

Skip, I would love to see you post the lathe conversion, with pictures.