PDA

View Full Version : Simple Finish for Paduk

Andy Korfin
08-07-2009, 12:02 PM
I searched this Forum for ideas and the responses I saw seem to be above my level of skill/experience. I am building two small indoor projects using Paduk (I think it's South American but not sure).

My finishing experience consists of stain & polyurethane, I don't own a sprayer so I'm looking for the simplest method. The project is still in the works but if it looks good enough when done I would also consider not using any finish.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Nate Carey
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I've used Paduk for pistol grips and knife handles with no finish. Regular use and up-keep of both pistols and knifes will impart an oil finish on the Paduk.

...I do buff the grips and handles with Tripoli compound and jewelers rouge...

glenn bradley
08-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I have made bowls and small boxes of padouk and simply finish them with dewaxed shellac. Really brings out the color without hiding the figure or making the already dark wood too dark. This would not be appropriate for high wear areas.

Danny Thompson
08-07-2009, 2:25 PM
Danish oil may be a good choice. What kind of pieces are these?

I used Tung Oil on a Padouk bench once. The end product was significantly darker than the raw stock and required many days to dry.

Andy Korfin
08-07-2009, 3:25 PM
Danish oil may be a good choice. What kind of pieces are these?

I used Tung Oil on a Padouk bench once. The end product was significantly darker than the raw stock and required many days to dry.

One is a holder for a my daughters handprint the other is 'In Box' basically a paper holder.

Scott Holmes
08-07-2009, 6:00 PM
Super Blond shellac. It is very durable... take a stroll through a museum, anything with the original finish that was built before ~1920 is shellac.

I've seen 100 year old floors with shellac finish still intact.

Brian Kent
08-07-2009, 6:07 PM
The other advice looks great too. I used Danish wood oil and Beall's buffing system and it came out great.

Andy Korfin
08-08-2009, 9:02 AM
Thanks to all for their input, I'n going to give the Danish Oil a try. My questions are Where do I get it, How do I apply it and are there any safety concerns with the oil or what I use to appy it ?

Thanks again,

Andy

John Michaels
08-08-2009, 2:48 PM
I've used Daly's BenMatte (a modified Danish tung oil) with great success. It's very easy to use. Wipe on , wipe off. It may weep a little from the pores while drying so, every couple of hours rewipe. Oil finishes do have an important safety concern. The oil soaked rags can spontaneously catch fire if left crumpled up or tossed in the garbage. Spread the used rag out to dry outside and after it hardens in a couple of days, then you can chuck it.

Here's a link.

http://www.dalyspaint.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3