PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Blades

Howard Jahnke
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey guys,
Was wanting to upgrade the OEM blades that came with my Powermatic 14' bandsaw. Everything I read on here suggests that they are far from quality blades. Just wanting to know what brand of blades are considered to be good quality by all you experts.

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Hi Howard, I have no idea who makes the blades I use.

I buy them from the local saw supplier, they purchase the band in large coils and then cut and weld them to the length I require.

It's less expensive than store bought blades, and they change the steel type depending upon what I'm cutting.

I just let them know what I'm cutting, they recommend a width/pitch/tooth type and make it for me.

My saw uses 103" blades, they cost between $14 to $25 dollars depending upon the blade.

Look in your area for saw suppliers and see what they can do for you......Rod.

Nate Carey
08-07-2009, 11:01 AM
I do what Rod does...my supplier is in Glens Falls, New York and delivers to me in New Hampshire every other week. I've been completely satisfied with the blades and the service going on 26 years.

Verne Mattson
08-07-2009, 4:26 PM
I have Lenox bandsaw blades. I have bi-metal and carbide tipped bands, and I got them from the Kaufman Company in Massachusetts.

I think they're really nice bands.

glenn bradley
08-07-2009, 5:07 PM
Obviously from the responses, it depends. Sounds like Nate goes through a few; wouldn't we all over 26 years ;-) In the price range Rod shows, I get Timberwolfs dropped on my doorstep with a phone call. I heard a lot of folks on SMC talk about them so I tried them on a Sears 12" I used to have. The difference was so dramatic from the BORG blades that I have just kept calling them when the need arises.

I run them on an older 10" Delta that I use for small work and on a 17" Griz that I primarily resaw on. In their general price range there seem to be a few to choose from but I'm doing OK with Suffolk's (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/). In the higher price ranges (based on your needs) there are carbide and other such blades but these are a different (and very cool) animal. If that is what you are after, Woodslicers (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=295) and such (http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/?gclid=CJzh1Ni6kpwCFSgYagodERx8eA) have a good following who will probably fill in the blanks here.

Myk Rian
08-07-2009, 5:33 PM
Timberwolf for resaw and Olsen for the other stuff. I get them at Woodcraft.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-07-2009, 9:21 PM
Rod, how do you weld your blades?

Bruce Wrenn
08-07-2009, 11:17 PM
His supplier welds them from coil stock blade. Most industrial band saws have a welder / annealer mounted right on the machine. Practice makes perfect, but newer automatic welder do a much better job. That is why most BS blades carry a lifetime warranty against weld failure.

Howard Jahnke
08-10-2009, 2:26 PM
I saw the Timberwolf's @ woodcraft. I figured for the price they must be good. Wanted to get other's opinions first. I believe the extra blade I have is a Vermont American from the local borg. Thanks for the replies guys.

Rod Sheridan
08-10-2009, 3:50 PM
Hi Howard, the prices I quoted were in Canadian dollars, so the Woodcraft blades look pretty pricey to me.

I believe Suffolk Machinery will sell you the Timberwolf blades for much less than Woodcraft.

Have a look at their website...........Regards, Rod.

P.S. Bruce, thanks for answering the question about the blade welding, you're correct that with the new welders, broken welds are a thing of the past....Rod.

Howard Jahnke
08-11-2009, 2:52 PM
Wow, you were right Rod. Thanks for the heads up about Suffolk. Considerable difference. Appreciate all the help. Finding this forum has been one of the best things I've done on the net in a while. I've spent an awful lot of time reading these forums instead of being productive in my shop. Although I did spend last week installing a new Oneida V-3000 and PVC plumbing in the shop. Big job, but nice to have it done. Thanks again for the advice.

Rod Sheridan
08-12-2009, 8:50 AM
Howard, you're welcome.

This is a great forum, I learn a lot from it.

I almost never purchase cutting tools from a retail organization, since the industrial suppliers provide a better product, for the same or less money.

Find a tooling shop in your area, look for saw and cutting tool manufacturers or sharpening services.

I'm lucky, I live a couple of kilometres from the main location of FS Tools. I'm spoiled when it comes to purchasing tooling, or having it sharpened.

Regards, Rod.