PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Kick Hold Down Guide System

james bell
08-07-2009, 9:35 AM
Woodworker's Supply is having a sale on their anti-kick hold down guide system. Does anybody have any experience with this system? I am always looking for anything which will improve safety - especially since I have an old unisaw and no riving knife.

thanks

Joe Hathcoat
08-07-2009, 10:48 AM
you might send a mail to David Marks and ask him. He used that very system on his show quite frequently.

Joaquin Franco
08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
I would recommend it, I have had one for a few years now so I do not remember what I paid for it. It presses the wood down against the table and towards the fence. The wheels spin in the feed direction but not in reverse.

Downside is that it is not really usable for smaller pieces because it gets in the way.

Jeffrey Makiel
08-07-2009, 11:21 AM
I have Shophelpers (the other brand :)). The problem with these devices are that they prohibit push sticks when ripping narrow (say 3" wide) boards. If you have an overarm dust hood or guard, they can interfere with that too.

-Jeff :)

glenn bradley
08-07-2009, 1:02 PM
Board Buddies and their ilk often get good reviews. Roller guides could interfere with my Grr-Rippers which can interfere with my overarm which can interfere with my featherboards. All are good safety devices and all have their place during different types of cuts. Mark Singer praises his Board Buddies as well I believe.

Bill White
08-07-2009, 1:23 PM
Been usin' oard Buddies for years. Started 'em on the RAS, then have 'em on the TS. They work. :D
Bill

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2009, 1:54 PM
As always, it depends upon your work, and your machinery.

I purchased a set of Board Buddies which remain almost unused.

I have a General 650 saw with an Excalibur overam guard, and the fence mounted hold downs don't work for the following reasons;

- the fence isn't held down at the rear, so the board buddies simply lift the fence up.

- they interfere with the overarm guard

When I do need something to hold stock I use home made feather boards, or put my shaper behind the saw and pivot the stock feeder over the saw table.

Regards, Rod.

Al Sherred
08-07-2009, 2:14 PM
I use Grip Tite Magnetic featherboards , the are easy to setup, and prevent kick back , easy release and , I use them all the time on the TS and jointer. I saw them being demonstrated at a woodworking show and the guy tried to cause a kick back and could't I was sold.

glenn bradley
08-07-2009, 5:14 PM
When I do need something to hold stock I use home made feather boards, or put my shaper behind the saw and pivot the stock feeder over the saw table.

Now that's an option I would like to have. Too cool.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2009, 8:36 PM
Now that's an option I would like to have. Too cool.

Glenn, you would be amazed how much better the feeder is at pushing and holding than I am.:D

Regards, Rod.

james bell
08-08-2009, 12:43 PM
thanks for all the replies and great suggestions. i have an excalibur overarm dust collector and use both the grr-rippers and the grip tite magnetic featherboard - all have their place but definitely all cause some sort of interference with the overarm, the splitter, etc.

will look into the other items suggested.