PDA

View Full Version : Career, Side Job or Hobby

Carol Barbero
08-07-2009, 9:03 AM
I was just wondering how many on the forum use the laser for a hobby, how many use it to make extra cash, and how many have a full blown career from the work they do with the laser.

I bought mine in hopes of picking up some extra money because there is no job security anywhere anymore. Seems it may have been a wise investment since i was told my job will be moving to our Headquarters (no I won't move also) in 4-6 months.

I have a looooong way to go and so much to learn, but can you make a living doing this? I've seen the work posted on this site, and am sure many could make a very comfortable living. Just not sure how much is in the art type projects and how much is the engraving of large orders like pens, name plate data, etc.

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Randy Walker
08-07-2009, 9:36 AM
Hi Carol
I just retired (August 1 was my first day of retirement) and am hoping to make some extra money with mine. It is also an extension of my woodworking and other art stuff that I do. I wouldn't mind if it turned into a second carrier, but if it only makes extra money like my other hobies do thats ok too.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon14.gif

Randy Walker

Dave Garcia
08-07-2009, 9:45 AM
Carol,

Randy said it probably better than anyone but............ if you have read all of the posts in this forum you should have seen that making money with a laser, for a living anyway, takes a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of business planning. Really, I would spend some more time reviewing all of the threads on this forum again before putting up the big bucks necessary to get started in this business, especially if you are thinking of making a living off of it.

Going back to Randy's comment. He just retired. And he doesn't have to make money off his laser. And that's the key..... HAVE TO for a living.

It has taken me two years of research (yes, I'm slow and thick headed but...) just to come close to finding a laser engraver that I'm interested in spending the bucks for. And I've had my wood working business in place and operational since 1977.

Good luck with your research. And don't let anyone try to talk you out of this. Just do your homework and realize from a point of knowledge what it's going to take to turn a profit.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Johnson29
08-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Just not sure how much is in the art type projects and how much is the engraving of large orders like pens, name plate data, etc.

Hi Carol,

In my experience with a laser as hobby, it is more the selling of what you make or do than anything else.

I would not get into the mass market that is well covered and highly competitive and I mean 1/100ths of a penny.

Find a niche and exploit that. How do you find a niche? I have no idea. I just try things and then hawk them around. Let them sit and if you get inquiries then push a little in that direction and see if becomes a niche.

In this laser world, you have to lead then follow.

Mitchell Andrus
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Find the nails before you buy a hammer.

Doug Griffith
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I fall under all 3. I consider the work I do on the laser as a side job but every now and then I get decent sized commercial jobs that take over my life. They consume all my time and pay well so the other income sources get put to the side. But since these types of jobs are inconsistent, I can not rely on them to pay the bills. I need other sources of income. And like most others, the laser also weasels it's way into my hobbies and just about everything else I do.

Cheers,
Doug

Scott Shepherd
08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
It's a career for me, but not the laser alone.

Tim Bateson
08-07-2009, 11:14 AM
It's a hobby/side business/future retirement career.

...Find a niche and exploit that. How do you find a niche? I have no idea. I just try things and then hawk them around. Let them sit and if you get inquiries then push a little in that direction and see if becomes a niche...

Good advice from Dave. To go one step further: A "niche" is NOT something your family & friends love & tell you will sell hundreds, even "market research" is useless... A "niche" is only worth while if you have generated real sales with real cash flow. That's when you truly know you are on to something. So, start slinging some mud & see what sticks.

Joe Motley
08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Carol, We think we have a niche, primarily in women's fashion jewelry-- happy to share this with you. We have a gift shop in coastal NC and several years ago added a rotary engraver for small jewelry. Then purchased a laser engraver (Epilog Mini 24, 40W) and experimented with sea shells. This has been good for us-- not a career by any means-- but it surely could be with some effort. In addition to our store sales, our shells are now in a dozen or so boutiques on the coast. We provide sample displays (no cost to the retailer) and take orders by fax or phone. Usually are able to ship by the next day. Shells are inexpensive, and we don't pick them up off the beach. Started by buying them from Fire Mountain and other vendors, then learned to buy in bulk from various vendors in Indonesia and China. The profit per piece is considerable, even when splitting with a retailer. And there does not seem to be much competition. A company named Heart Strings is the biggest player, but their engraving quality is poor. Rotary, I think.
Our website at etchedintimedesigns.com has a fair sampling of what we do.
Best,
Joe

Rob Bosworth
08-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Career. Both the Queen and I make our living off Laser Engraving. Of course, we make our living off selling the equipment rather than doing the engraving.
My brother opened a laser engraving and sublimation shop two years ago, and he too is doing it full time for his career.

Rodne Gold
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Career , but I already had a successful trophy and industrial engraving company before I bought - proved my best addition - I now have 5 1/2 lasers (one of em is sickly)..I also got in at least 10 yrs ago ...before they were so common so have experience in materials , design and tricks and tips that others havent got
They compliment my exisiting machinery

Michael Hunter
08-07-2009, 1:12 PM
Was intended to be my career, but has not quite worked out like that!

The laser has opened doors for me in designing for precision mechanical engineering, electronics and optics which I would not have even heard about but for trying to hawk my engraving services. I even did a spell at boatbuilding (gone (temporarily, I hope) in the recession) because the company I engrave bits for needed some help.

So lasering gets me about 1/3 of my income and a "portfolio" of interests the rest.

Am I glad I bought my Epilog? - YES!!!!!
Did my original business plan allow for what I do now? - NOoooo !!!!
Would more market research have helped? - not a chance

Phil Salvati
08-07-2009, 2:16 PM
Our laser works along with many other machines in our shop/store. Which is also my living, now!

This all started with a plasma/router table in my barn. A hobby for my wife and I when both our businesses were slow in the summer during harvest. Four short years later.... a 3 story building, many machines and employees!

Be careful what you wish for! :D

John Noell
08-07-2009, 4:17 PM
Carol, We think we have a niche, primarily in women's fashion jewelry...This has been good for us-- not a career by any means-- but it surely could be with some effort. ...We provide sample displays (no cost to the retailer) and take orders by fax or phone...
Similar story here. We do everything from rubber stamps to large signs with cutout letters to key & name tags, but we think our real niche is coconut shell jewlery. Our 'cocoshelldesigns' website is where we are putting our main effort right now.

Marc Myer
08-07-2009, 4:32 PM
Side business/hobby.
I'm an artist, so I'm always trying cool things as gifts, high-end pieces for a friend's gallery, and miscellaneous stuff. I occasionally get 'real' jobs, which are great for extra money (there's no such thing as 'extra' money, of course!). I also have a small internet-based business that is steady and fairly profitable. But there's no way i could make a real living without a great deal of work.

Mike Null
08-07-2009, 5:38 PM
I make my living in this business but could not do so with just the laser. I have other equipment and besides sand carving which I chose to sell, offer a range of engraving, sublimation, heat transfer and other related services.

I offer services rather than products.

Larry Bratton
08-07-2009, 8:07 PM
Get another day job Carol unless your planning on getting a really big severance package.

Steve Clarkson
08-08-2009, 4:37 PM
I offer services rather than products.

I like that Mike!

Dee Gallo
08-08-2009, 4:53 PM
Carol,

I make a decent amount of steady money serving a niche market, but the laser is only one tool of many, like a computer, paintbrush, sandpaper or 50 years of experience.

In order to serve a true niche market, you must have knowledge in the area equal to or better than the niche buyers. They have to see you as "the person" who can provide the service or product they absolutely need and want. It's tricky to settle in one area, but when you do, you will be happier doing something you are interested in than just being a factory worker.

Each person on the Creek has his or her own interests which vary like mad. Can you make a living with your laser? First ask yourself what else you bring to the table besides a piece of equipment.

Oh, and I'm retired, so I have another income, which is key. Don't quit your day job until AFTER you are making enough to support your laser and yourself or you will be in tough shape. If I was not retired, I could live on the amount I make, but it's nicer to have "extra".

cheers, dee

Bill Gailey
08-08-2009, 6:57 PM
I bought my first laser in 1982 from Laser Machining in Somerset, Wi and yes, Rob Bosworth was at the company and I have known him for the past 27 years. If I remember correctly it was the 7th system they sold. Over the past 27 years I have sold over $9 million dollars worth of laser engraved products. This past Monday I closed on the sale of my company here in Florida and will be moving to the Detroit area to open a new shop. I have no customers, don't know anyone other than my 2 daughters, son-in-law and 3 grandchildren up there but I can't wait to get there in September and open a new store. Some people ask me if I am crazy to move to that "depressed" area and open a new business but I know that with all the capabilities I will have with a new Epilog 120 watt and Fibermark lasers that I will create another company that is as successful as the one I just sold in the middle of the worst economy since the depression.

There are only a couple of things to remember if you want to do this full time:

1- learn your laser and it's capabilities! That doesn't mean just making some cute pieces to impress your family

2 - THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX! This is as critical as #1. Original ideas and markets are where the next fortune is waiting.

3 - Recognize an opportunity when it hits you in the face! When I came to Fort Walton Beach in 1994 I knew nothing about the military and the 2 AF bsases that were here. I never served in the military and didn't know an airman from a colonel. 14 Years later I had sold over 3 million dollars worth of lasered product and sold the company to a Colonel that wanted to own his own business. If I had not pursued the military business because I didn't know anything about it I would have missed out on this opportunity.

4 - Believe in yourself and your ability! If you don't no one else will.

Thanks for reading through my long response but I finally decided to put my 2 cents worth out there for all of you who wonder if you can make a living with a laser.

Tim Bateson
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Bill, I thought retirees where suppose to move south TO Florida, not north to Michigan?

Rodne Gold
08-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Bill , the big difference between yourself and most folk that post here in respect of making a living with a laser is 27 years of experience in the field...
No matter what they do , they can't replicate that :)

Bill Gailey
08-09-2009, 9:31 AM
The 27 years of experience came "after" buying the first laser. In 1982 I was just like the people on here that are considering taking "the leap". My only purpose here is to let people know that you can do this but it isn't easy and the 4 things I said you have to know are the guidlines that I have found that work for me.

Every persons experience will be different but they can be positive if we "pay forward" our knowledge and our successes. I didn't get where I am today without a lot of help and I feel a responsibility to share those experiences and what knowledge I have gained with the next generation of laser owners.

Tim, I don't think "retire" is in my vocabulary....I love what I do and can't imagine being bored by playing golf all day or fishing....now spending time with the grandkids....that is a whole different story!

Phyllis Rhodes
08-09-2009, 7:25 PM
I'm with Tim. Got the laser because we like toys. Figured I'd make it pay its own way, so started a side business. Hoping it will slowly build until I retire (7 years?) and be able to make a few extra dollars.

Carol Barbero
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Thank you all for your valuable input. No intention of quitting my day job but once I'm forced out, I may have a bit of time for awhile to devote to my laser.

Michael Simpson Virgina
08-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Both Epilog and ULS would have you believe that you can purchase a laser and start making money. This was probably true many years ago but no longer. If you dont already have an established buisness that can utilize the laser you will have a very hard time paying for the laser.

There are many hidden costs. Since I got my laser my electric bill has doubled.