PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw splicing

Jeff Willard
08-07-2009, 7:55 AM
Anybody ever use these splice kits?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=41049&cat=1,41036

Just wondering how effective they are. I've been given a couple of new 1", 4TPI bands, but they have a little more length than needed. If they work, it's probably worth it to me, as I have another band broken at the weld, and a line on some more that are too long. Any tricks to, or pointers on achieving a good weld and smooth transition?

Greg Sznajdruk
08-07-2009, 8:01 AM
Jeff:

It is Lee Valley, if it doesn't work as advertised they will make it good. That just the way they are.

Greg

Danny Burns
08-07-2009, 2:15 PM
I've used this kit, and it worked well. I had to fiddle a little bit to get things right, but it did the job in the end.
You can find people who have built their own blade holding jigs, and just buy the silver solder and flux.
I don't regret having something that I thought I would never need, since it makes for a lot less down time should I break a blade again.

Rick Lizek
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Silver solder or silver braze is what they use to braze the teeth on carbide blades so it's very strong. The hardest part is to not over heat the blade. It takes practice but is a viable option to use for bandsaw blades. I use silver brazing to make furniture hardware. Paul Revere used this technique for Silversmithing. Also commonly used by jewelry makers.