PDA

View Full Version : What grit on grinding wheel?

Steve Trauthwein
08-07-2009, 7:32 AM
After reading the nice thread on grinding systems I am curious as to what grits people use on their grinding wheel. From pros through gifted amatuers I have seen everything from 40 to 120.

In an ideal setup I think I would like to have two grinders. One high speed one low speed and four different wheels. I currently have a 60 and an 80. What are your thoughts?

Regards, Steve

Steve Schlumpf
08-07-2009, 8:05 AM
Steve - I use a 120 grit and a 150 grit wheel on my slow speed grinder. I opted for the 150 because I wanted something so I could just touch up the edge on my gouges. Works very well for that - just don't try to reshape your tool unless you have some time to spend at the grinder!

robert hainstock
08-07-2009, 9:34 AM
I am using two grinders, a 6" high speeed, and an 8" low speed. I have a wire btush and a 60 grit wheel on th high speed, along with a PSI "table". On the eight" I use the vari grind, and the "table". Great versatility, And maximizes use. :)
Bob

Richard Madison
08-07-2009, 9:49 AM
Steve, I like your idea of a finer (150) wheel for touch ups. Should give a finer edge and smoother cuts. Would you say that the finer edge remains useable longer before the next touch up?

Reed Gray
08-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I have an 80 grit wheel on one side and a 150 on the other. Ther primary reason for the 150 is that the tools will last a lot longer. Finding 150 grit wheels is more of a problem though as they are seldom available in grits finer than 120. The finer grits don't really seem to cut better or keep an edge longer. I did have a 320 grit wheel for a while. It works, but some times, it just didn't take off enough steel to renew the edge. I also have a 40 and 60 grit wheel on another grinder for shaping.

robo hippy

Mike Spanbauer
08-07-2009, 1:03 PM
I've just acquired an 8" slow setup for initial shaping and plan on building a sharpening station w/ my 6" high speed, wire brush and 60g, slow speed with 80g / 120g (with wolverine flat and bar jig) and my tormek with standard 220g A/O stone.

I've had a lot of experience on the Tormek prior to turning so I can get near perfect repeatability on the T machine for each grind, although I am considering getting a second gouge jig so I can set it to my Ellsworth grind and set one to a more traditional fingernail (requires allen to switch between the two).

I'm thinking about a large lazy susan for all 3 on the end of a bench which I'll be mounting my wife's 1014. I've not yet noodled through the design yet though and it's subject to change.

mike

Lance kanaby
08-07-2009, 3:38 PM
I have a slow speed grinded with an 80 grit and 100 grit wheels. The finer grit will give you a much sharper edge, but this is for sharpenning, not grinding.

Bernie Weishapl
08-07-2009, 3:51 PM
Steve I have 80 and 120 on mine. Found these do just fine.

Bruce McElhaney
08-07-2009, 4:39 PM
A lot probably depends on what type of grinding wheel you're talking about. I hear numbers tossed about but not what type of wheel people are using. I use a Norton 3x 80 grit wheel in 8" size in a Delta 1750 rpm grinder, and like it best for general sharpening. Also have a 6" x 3//4" 120 grit white wheel in a Baldor 1750rpm grinder It works also, but prefer the 8" x 1" wheels for easier grinding.