PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No. 4: Crack in sole

jerry nazard
08-06-2009, 11:46 PM
I picked up a Type 11 No. 4C off the bay. The plane is in overall great shape - except - there is a 1/4" long hairline crack extending from the back RH side of the mouth. After lapping the sole on 220 grit paper, the crack is now almost completely invisible; but, I know that it's there.

With a fresh blade installed the plane functions beautifully. It seems that my options are: 1. Tune it up and use it hoping the crack remains dormant. 2. Abandon my tuneup and use it for parts. 3. Give it to my wife for Christmas to use as a cheese grater.

Have any of you had any similar encounters with hairline sole cracks?

Thanks!

-Jerry

Jim Koepke
08-06-2009, 11:56 PM
I have #4 type 6 that looked great until a little lapping was done on the sole, then a small crack about 1/8 inch long can be seen.

The plane works fine. I since have acquired a few other type 6 soles.

You might hold on to it and keep an watch on eBay for a replacement sole or if you do come across another good user. I find it convenient to have a couple of #4 planes to keep set for fine and coarse shavings.

The small crack may not be much problem if it does not grow.

jim

philip marcou
08-07-2009, 12:58 AM
If you can make shavings as required then forget about it. If that crack affects the way the plane works in any way then swap it out or use the parts on another plane. If the crack is on any area other than the edges of the mouth then it will be of no consequence. Cracks at the mouth edges on the trailing side may affect the bed and may increase the tendency for these planes to flex in use and when the cap is tightened, but I would say the same thing again, and add "It's only a Stanley #4".

Jon Toebbe
08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bought a Stanley #7 from the bay and it arrived with a crack all the way through the cheek. In fact, I kvetched about it here (a search ought to turn it up). In the end, I filled the crack with JB Weld, lapped it carefully, and never had another problem with it. I suspect over time it might not have held up, but didn't cause me any grief.

Since your crack is in the sole, I suspect you'll have even less trouble than I did. Smear some JB Weld in there with a scrap of wood, lap it, and see how it works. At the worst, you can set it for a rank cut and find another for fine work.

Larry Williams
08-07-2009, 2:05 PM
...Have any of you had any similar encounters with hairline sole cracks?

These cracks that only show up in type 9 planes or later, I believe, result from getting the frog set too far back then forcing the lever of the lever cap to lock. This transfers all the pressure that should be placed on the frog onto the raised receiver in the plane's body. If the lever cap screw hasn't been loosened there will the the additional stress of the receiver being proud of the frog's bed. It's a pretty common problem and I always checked these planes carefully back when I would buy Stanley planes.

Harlan Barnhart
08-09-2009, 5:53 PM
My Stanley #3 has a cheek crack approx. 1/4" long that appeared after I cleaned it up. That was three years ago. No problems so far. If the function of the plane is not impaired, use it and forget about it.