PDA

View Full Version : Assembling square boxes

Howard Phillips
08-06-2009, 9:11 PM
I'm planning on making a whole bunch of boxes soon, most of while will be a foot along all dimensions.

I have no corner clamps, and was wondering if any of you had any quick solutions for keeping the boxes square during glue up (solutions that aren't "go buy corner clamps")

Thanks

Brian Kent
08-06-2009, 9:16 PM
Make them with a square bottom that slides in like a drawer bottom.

David Christopher
08-06-2009, 9:16 PM
A piece of plywood with 2X4 screwed to it in a 90 degree patern.....place box on plywood and clamp to 2X4 while glueing

Barry Vabeach
08-06-2009, 9:19 PM
Howard, assuming you are gluing 4 sides together, I made a few this weekend and used an ordinary band clamp ( you would probably need 2 or 3 for a 1 foot wide board) and once I got them pretty snug, I just measured diagonals -if they were off, I hit it with a mallet and the band clamps seemed to keep everything from moving again. Sorry if you don't have band clamps.

Jim Crockett
08-06-2009, 9:26 PM
I usually use blue quick-release masking tape for mitered corner boxes. Lay the four sides down on a flat surface (I also usually use a straight edged board to align the edges, too) with the inner sides down. Double check to ensure you have the sides in the correct order, all the top edges against the straightedge (DAMHIKT) and also make sure you cut all of your rabbets/grooves first. Attach tape firmly to first side (say left end) and with the mitered edges tightly together stretch the tape and attach to the second piece. Depending on height of the box, I may use two strips of 1" tape of 1 piece of 2" - whatever I have on hand. Ensure the tape is firmly rubbed down! Continue this process until three of the corners are taped. Carefully turn the pieces over so the inside is facing up and insert your bottom and, if applicable, top pieces. To test, just fold the sides up into a rectangle. You may have to use a little pressure to force the last joint together but if you attached the tape firmly, the other joints won't pop apart. If everything fits ok, unfold the pieces and remove the top/bottom inserts. Apply a light coat of glue to all mitered edges then let it dry to 10-15 minutes. Apply a second coat of glue, insert the top and bottom pieces (glue these in if you are using sheet goods), fold the box up, then apply tape across the last joint. Let sit overnight for good drying.

Jim

Jim Crockett
08-06-2009, 9:27 PM
Howard, assuming you are gluing 4 sides together, I made a few this weekend and used an ordinary band clamp ( you would probably need 2 or 3 for a 1 foot wide board) and once I got them pretty snug, I just measured diagonals -if they were off, I hit it with a mallet and the band clamps seemed to keep everything from moving again. Sorry if you don't have band clamps.

You can also purchase wide rubber bands that work very well for smaller boxes!

Jim

Mike Cruz
08-06-2009, 9:29 PM
Go buy corner clamps...oops, you told me not to tell you that!

Michael Faurot
08-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Use box joints or dovetails to hold the sides together.