PDA

View Full Version : sand blasting problem

sal shepherd
08-06-2009, 6:57 PM
Hi, I have been blasting marble irns with no problem. I have a job to blast a head stone. In the past i have used a siphon gun. For this job I bought a pressure pot from harbor freight, also a inline gun. Whith this set up
I cannot get any depth it barely marks surface.

Tools: 2hp 15gal 6scfm + 30 gal air storage, pressure pot 100# new blasting sand all pourpose (no moisture)

James Stokes
08-06-2009, 7:51 PM
You do not have near enough air flow. For a tombstone you need to be blasting around 80psi and air volume around 15 cubic ft per minute. In other words your compressor is way to small.

Ed Hazel
08-06-2009, 8:04 PM
Is this what you are using http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95014

Your compressor is small for the job you will only be able to blast for a short time you do need 90 psi.

I have one of these
1. use the small tip
2. turn the valve at the bottom of the tank that controls the sand flow way down if to much sand is flowing it will not work.

Bobby Nicks
08-06-2009, 9:08 PM
I agree with the other two, you need more compressor. I do a lot of sand blasting as my other hobby is old cars, in fact tomorrow I will be sand blasting the front sub frame from a 68 Camaro.

I have the medium size blaster setup from Eastwood and my compressor is 220 volt 6 1/2 hp with a 80 gallon tank. It flows 15scfm at 90 psi. I have a regulator at the air input to my sand blaster and it is set to 90 psi. My setup works pretty good as the compressor can keep up with me in that I don't ever have to stop and wait for the tank to fill up, but it sures runs a lot.

Bob

Mike Null
08-07-2009, 8:09 PM
I think you need to also look at different blasting media. Look at 1.silicone carbide or 2. aluminum oxide.

Sand ain't gonna get the job done.

You were right to buy a pressure pot.

sal shepherd
08-10-2009, 9:29 PM
Ok, Sorry about leaving my post. All of you are spot on. I borrowed my paw in laws comp. I hooked them in tandem air pressure was more constant at about 82psi. I found a way to shoot bb's it was slow going an had to finish with silica carbide. I was thinking. when they water cut they sometimes use sand with waterblasting. I am working on a gun where I can use a pressure washer with the sand blaster. What is your opinion on this? Is it do able?

Gary Hair
08-14-2009, 2:44 PM
I am working on a gun where I can use a pressure washer with the sand blaster. What is your opinion on this? Is it do able?

It is do able if your pressure washer can put out 30,000 psi. Check the specs on a waterjet and you'll be surprised at how high the pressure is.

Gary