PDA

View Full Version : Any Wood gear clock makers out there?

Andy Sowers
08-06-2009, 2:28 PM
All

I recently started building a wood geared clock designed by Clayton Boyer. I'm currently in the very early stages having only cut out a few of the larger wheels.

I did a lot of searching here on SMC and didnt really find much discussion on building these clocks (except for some hits in the laser forums). I wondered if there were other folks out there with any tips that they'd like to share.

I could also chronicle my trials and tribulations if there was any interest...

Andy

Mods... feel free to move this to the Projects forum if you see fit. I posted here, because most post there are of completed projects...

Richard Bell CA
08-06-2009, 3:00 PM
Andy:

Fine Woodworking had a two part article on designing and building wooden clocks, written by Wayne Westphale. Check issue 56, Jan/Feb 1986, pages 30-35 and issue 57, March/April 1986, pages 58-65. I would like to try the same thing one of these days.

Good Luck

Richard

Brian W Evans
08-06-2009, 3:23 PM
Sorry, I don't know of any resources for you. I'd be very interested in a "chronicle my trials and tribulations", though.

Good luck.

george wilson
08-06-2009, 4:18 PM
I'd like to know how the 18th.C. inventor of the marine chronometer first made wooden case clock movements that were more accurate than the metal ones,or anyone else's. That must have been real genious!!

Caspar Hauser
08-06-2009, 6:57 PM
Ingenious chap here, might be worth a peruse

http://www.woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

Myk Rian
08-06-2009, 9:35 PM
You can save that page for future reference. Just click on File - Save page as, give it a name and it will save the html and needed files.

Andy Sowers
08-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Any thoughts on using a pin router to cut out the wheels/pinions? Woodline sells a clock kit that does just that...

If the first clock turns out ok, I was thinking about making a few of these clocks for my family for Christmas presents (I didnt say whether it was this Christmas though!!). I really don't relish the thought of cutting all those teeth out again a couple of times over. I was also thinking that it would be easier making the templates out of thinner material and then using the router with a very small template bit (or a pin router setup) to make the copies. What's the smallest diameter flush trim bit made? I think I saw a 1/8" one somewhere, but I have no idea whether it would last long enough...

Course, I also could just get the pieces laser cut out... but that seems a bit too easy, almost like cheating? (ahem... are there any laser engravers out there who live in the San Jose area?:o)

Thanks
Andy

Myk Rian
08-07-2009, 12:43 PM
You could rough rout the gears with a 1/4" pattern bit, then use a 1/8" pin router to finish the cuts.

Richard Bell CA
08-07-2009, 1:19 PM
Andy:

Within the pages I referenced above, there is another small article by Jim Cummins on how to build a router jig to cut the gear teeth. It is on pages 64-65 in issue 57.

Richard

Andy Sowers
08-07-2009, 1:35 PM
Myk, that's along the lines I was thinking...

Richard, yes, I've seen that article.... I'll go back again and review it again to see whether it would work for the tooth profile in my plan that I'm building.

I also purchased the plans from Steve Garrison for making involute gears... seems like it would work ok. I worry that I wouldnt get accurate results with my scrollsaw setup/skill level (too much lateral flexing of the blade). To use this same method on a TS requires pushing the stock laterally into the teeth of the saw. Not something I'm keen on trying...

Roger Newby
08-07-2009, 5:27 PM
I started Boyer's No. 6 awhile back but got busy with some other stuff. Just using a bandsaw and jigsaw plus osc. drum sander and a lot of hand work. My intent is to just build one for personal use and the challenge of building. Probably will be a cold weather/bad weather project with everything else going on outside right now. Will share my experience and opinions.

Art Kelly
08-07-2009, 8:19 PM
I'd like to know how the 18th.C. inventor of the marine chronometer first made wooden case clock movements that were more accurate than the metal ones,or anyone else's. That must have been real genious!!

...or at least invent one that isn't affected by ship's pitch and roll.

See http://www.surveyhistory.org/john_harrison's_timepiece1.htm