PDA

View Full Version : Installing 5 piece drawer fronts

Sam Layton
08-06-2009, 1:27 PM
I am almost ready to start building my kitchen cabinets. I will be using 5 piece drawer fronts on all of the drawers. My question is, how do you attach the 5 piece drawer front to the drawer box?

I am using riff sawn red oak and solid wood panels. The panels will float within the stiles and rails. Soooo, which do you attach, the panels, the stiles, both???

Thanks, Sam

Steve Jenkins
08-06-2009, 1:38 PM
I use screws from the inside of the drawer box into the stiles. One on each corner near the top and bottom. For a shallow drawer I use just one screw on each side.Then the screws for the pulls go through the panel and the drawer box.

Chip Lindley
08-06-2009, 1:47 PM
I might add, make sure your screws are not too short or long! Max holding power is needed over the long run! Too-short screws pull out more easily. Too-long cause the heartbreak of poking through a very nice drawer front! And, of course, drill pilot holes first. (not too deep!)

I take into account the possibility of *drawer-slam-abuse* in the future, and I toenail the screws in! (drive the screws at an angle) to provide a bit more holding power than is afforded by driving them straight in!

Jim Rimmer
08-06-2009, 1:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 5 piece drawer front?

Steve Jenkins
08-06-2009, 2:00 PM
Like a door. two rails two stiles and panel

Joe Leigh
08-06-2009, 4:05 PM
I did the same thing with my kitchen drawers. The solution for me was to use the 5 piece front as a false front screwed to the through dovetailed drawer front.

Sam Layton
08-07-2009, 3:28 AM
Thanks for the response,

I like the idea of securing the stiles and the panel to the drawer box.

Thanks again, Sam