PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
09-06-2004, 10:46 AM
We're going to start this one early to give folks time to post that had to go back to work today, since it is a holiday, as well as privide others time to think about what to post by tomorrow when everyone officially gets back to "the grindstone".

I worked on the knife box a little Saturday....I went to church yesterday and was so tired from the previous week that I never made it to the shop. I was "very afraid" that if I went out to the shop and started a machine, that I would ruin the project or hurt myself....neither of which I wanted to risk doing. Needless to say, I went to bed earlier that 2AM last night, spent important time with the LOML and kids last night and we all slept late this morning.....what a difference a good nights sleep does for ones mind.! :D

Today? It's out to the shop and I will cut the knife profiles today in at least one side of the box and may go ahead and cut the other one so I can start the "hand carving" of the box lid knife profile by tonight. I also hope to get the wooden hinges made today. <B>I ain't gonna rush things now, as <i>a single mistake now ruins it all!!!!!</I></B>

I will post again tonight with PICS from todays progress!!!!!!

So what about YOUR Weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tyler Howell
09-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Been Real nice to just putz and fudder around the shop. Making some repairs. big time clean up for the visiting Creeker. Taking pix of all my tools for insurance purposes. Nice soaking, rain Ideal for catching a nap in the middle of the day.;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-06-2004, 11:37 AM
I have been putterin' around the shop for the past week, but I now have the shop back in good shape, and back to woodworking. Spent some of the weekend finalizing my shop remodel, and some of the weekend turning. I love to be organized, work organized, and keep an organized shop. (Sometimes this is a challenge, but it is my goal.) As I type this, I am smoking some Ribs, and pondering my next move in the shop. Flatwork, or turning.............such decisions, huh? ;) It looks like it could rain at any minute, and it is in the forecast, so washing my truck is out.........guess I'll just have to relax today, and maybe spend some time with my tools. Have a great Labor Day everyone..................back to the salt mine tomorrow. :(

(Oh well, at least it's a short week!) :)

Brad Hammond
09-06-2004, 11:52 AM
ya know, i usually dont post on the "weekend" thread, but i've always read them religiously, so, i think it's high time i started posting!

i gotta work today, but this weekend i started crown molding in my mom and dads house. i'm starting the bathrooms and kitchen area first so dad can get started on the ceramic tile. i also started my new work bench for the new shop. the big garage doors should be in this week so I CAN START MOVING SAWS AND CRAP OVER!! WOOOO HOOO. i had alot of 13-14" pieces of 2x10's and 2x12's so i'm ripping them to 2 7/8" wide, turning them with the rip side up and joining them with biscuits and glue. it's gonna be 4'x10' so it's gonna take a while to glue each side and clamp and wait for glue to dry, glue clamp wait....... you know the drill.
OH... i almost forgot. i got power to the shop too so it's all wired and i've got lights too!
have a good holiday!
brad

Rich Konopka
09-06-2004, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]I went to church yesterday and was so tired from the previous week that I never made it to the shop. I was "very afraid" that if I went out to the shop and started a machine, that I would ruin the project or hurt myself....neither of which I wanted to risk doing.[QUOTE]

Dennis,

That is very wise. Whether it is physical or mental exhaustion you are a smart man for knowing your limits.

Did not get any time in the shop on Saturday or Sunday because both of my daughters played in a soccer tournament and we picked Grandma up on Sunday afternoon for a visit.

However, this morning I was awake at 0530 and after a couple of cups of Joe and walking the shop dog I finally made it down to my shop. My buddy and I put the MM16 in the Delta Mobile base ( anyone want to buy a crappy MM mobility kit :D ) http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10507 and carried down my big red Craftsmen tool chests from the garage. I have everything moved out of the way and the shop all cleaned up and ready for major renovations.

I will post some pics of the renovations but I'm in the boring phase currently. I am prepping the concrete walls in my basement shop for waterproofing. It seems that I have a moisture problem with the recent humidity levels in CT. I has pulled out that brand new feeler guage from Lee Valley when I was tuning the jointer and it had developed some small rust spots.

I have had the worst year in the shop with environmental issues. I had the water heater aqua stat let go and dump gallons and gallons of scalding hot water into the basement. I had just started framing the shop and had my pile of 2x4's get saturated with water and twist and cup. This setback caused me to rethink my original plans. I have since had a pan installed with a float that automatically shuts off the water to the water heater. In addition, I have also puchased a dehumidifier this week which will help keep the shop nice and dry.

The waterproofing phase involves plugging all of the indents where the rebar is in the poured concrete basement walls. This is a conduit for moisture from the outside. Thankfully, I had all my gutter downspouts connected to Black plastic drainage pipe and run away from the house to a drainage pit. Once plugged, I will apply a couple coates of DRYLOC to the walls. I also plan on the floor as well.

Once waterproofing is done I can frame the walls all around the basement and wire to the new sub panel I recently has installed. Once completed I will have a 1000 square feet of shop space. Yippee !!!

I should get back to work !!

Scott Coffelt
09-06-2004, 1:42 PM
My wife had a 25 year High School Reunion. So off to western Kansas. Saw the in-laws. Back last night, so nothing in the shop for two days. This morning I ran over and completed the minor surgery on the storm door that went south on me. In all it looks pretty good considering. The client was pleased, I offered her a discount on the installation, but she refused and paid full. She also asked me to look at replacement of a rear door and storm door. My schedule won't allow for me to get back to her until mid-October, but she'd fine with that. I also took the time to make some fine adjustments on the door knob as it was sticking (old style form the 20's or 30's). A few turns with a screw driver and she was working as good as new. The original clients have to order a custom sized storm door for their front door, so I'll probably kill two birds when it arrives.

The rest of Monday will be spent on mowing the yard, putting away tools in the shop and then Fantasy Football draft tonight. I also hope to wrap up the table and fence for the CMS/morticer station so I can start on the Morris Chair this week.

Tomorrow I go back to a full-time day job, no more shorts and stinky t-shirts.

Jack Diemer
09-06-2004, 2:28 PM
I didn't do a darned thing.

Steve Jenkins
09-06-2004, 2:28 PM
[QUOTE=Brad Hammond] i had alot of 13-14" pieces of 2x10's and 2x12's so i'm ripping them to 2 7/8" wide, turning them with the rip side up and joining them with biscuits and glue.

Brad unless you really need the biscuits for alignment they aren't necessary assuming from your description you are face gluing them. Steve

Jim Becker
09-06-2004, 2:49 PM
My weekend largely has been devoted to rearranging the shop after a "little modification" to the premisis. (Separate thread going on that) That work continues today and tomorrow. (I also took off Tuesday and would have taken more if not for previously scheduled customer engagements...:o )

Pete Harbin
09-06-2004, 2:52 PM
A little shop tinkering/cleaning, tile, BBQ with friends, tile, visited a new Goddaughter, tile, and for today...tile!

Pete

Brad Hammond
09-06-2004, 3:41 PM
[QUOTE=Brad Hammond] i had alot of 13-14" pieces of 2x10's and 2x12's so i'm ripping them to 2 7/8" wide, turning them with the rip side up and joining them with biscuits and glue.

Brad unless you really need the biscuits for alignment they aren't necessary assuming from your description you are face gluing them. Steve

yep....... that's exactly why i'm using them. it keeps all the parts nice and flat.

thanx for the advice!!!
brad

Mike Cutler
09-06-2004, 6:14 PM
Worked on some through/ tusk tenons for the project I'm working on. Went to a pig roast, drank lots of Coors Lite. Ate way too much and went to bed way too late. Cleaned the shop up abit, mowed the lawn and changed the oil in both vehicles. All in all, a very nice weekend. couldn't have planned it better if I tried ;)

Dan Mages
09-06-2004, 8:03 PM
Here is my progress pic for the project.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10131&stc=1

Enjoy

Dan

JayStPeter
09-06-2004, 11:48 PM
I finally have a reasonable amount of weekend shop time. During the summer, I usually take advantage of nice weather. Shop time is for winter. But, over the last couple months since I've finished the shop construction, I've been working on some cabinets and flat surfaces to work on. This weekend, I finally assembled the carcases and counter tops. I still need to improve the DC on the miter saw and build some drawers, doors, shelves, etc. Since money is tight right now, I decided to build a couple cabinets and leave some expansion room under the counters. I had originally planned on making the whole thing a few feet shorter and not having the build in CMS. But, the Lowes sale came along and I decided my dream laser saw needed a good place to sit. So, a quick plan was formed to do some shop rearranging and expand this station. Mid-build changes always leave some less than desirable features. This one is no exception. There is over a foot of unsupported counter on the right of the saw. I will fabricate a support off the miter saw platform until I build some more cabinets and rearrange that section.
I also built a drawer for the router table. My first work on that in 2 years. But, I needed someplace to put some routers and stuff.
Finally, I did some work on my deployable panel cutting surface. I need to get that finished so I can do the rearranging required by the miter saw station rework.

Jay

Byron Trantham
09-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Finishing up the sewing charis for LOML. Cutting, jointing, and thickness planing about 75 BF of cherry for a large wall unit I was commissioned to build.

Greg Daves
09-07-2004, 2:17 AM
Spent the weekend remodeling the guest bathroom...new sink, base, crown moulding, trim and paint. Also hoping to complete staining/sealing of a corner computer armoire, as well as a drop front secretary for the kitchen that my wife is faux painting.

My son starts pre-school tomorrow and his first organized sport, tee ball, starts Wednesday.

Hope all had a great holiday weekend!

GD

Sparky Paessler
09-07-2004, 8:05 AM
Moved Dirt all weekend. Rented a bobcat Saturday and spread the large pile of dirt from the shop expansion around the yard. Started digging into the crawl spaces but the space was a little tight for the bobcat that I rented (543) and I kept bumping into the walls and stuff. Decided to quit before I damaged too much. Arranged for a friend who has run bobcats and heavy equipment for 40 years to come later in the week with a smaller unit and dig them out. Did I say that I'm about sick of dirt! I will love the extra space when I get done though. I realize that since I don't have pictures to post that none of this really happened. No really I have pictures but my son took my camera to a party and left it. Should get it back today and will post a picture of a real "Power Tool" in the middle of my shop. :D

Mark J Bachler
09-07-2004, 8:25 AM
Went to a fly-in-breakfast at the Shell Lake airport on Sat morn. Around 250 planes. Not bad for a small town airport. There was a P-51, DC 103, a Russian MIG, a couple of Navy trainers & lots of experimental planes. Saturday afternoon I split firewood. Sunday it rained all day so I ran the electrical across the shop for the wood boiler, & chased "ol what’s her name" around the house. Monday a buddy stopped by & we split firewood. He made a wood splitter that will split 5' lengths for his monster wood stove. We could put 3 normal sized pieces of wood on it at once. Split about 8 stove cord in 3 hrs. Grilled salmon for everyone, had a few beers & crashed early.

Steve Clardy
09-07-2004, 3:04 PM
Got this boat project under control. Had everything done except the table that goes in it. Laminated on both sides and all edges. I had to install 6 butler hinges in it. That had me real worried, as if I screwed one up, it would screw the whole table. Got them all in without a hitch.
But--did have one minor casuality. This table has the camper style legs, so I had to install the supports pieces on the table for the legs.
During my excitement in getting the hinges on correctly, I was laying out the centers to mount the leg supports, got them layed out, picked up the screw gun and drilled a center hole for the first screw.
Whammm!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: What the heck:confused:
I didn't turn the table over!!!!! I drilled the hole in the top!!!!:eek::eek::eek:
Shoot heck durn I said. So--- with a little red putty and a brown magic marker I covered up my big major mess. Doesn't show.
Got the table over on the RIGHT side, and got the supports mounted.
Now to get paid.:)
Steve

keith zimmerman
09-08-2004, 3:10 PM
Spent the weekend in Minneapolis with LOML. She is getting close to opening her coffeehouse and I was recruited to build some things for her. This weekend, it was two 8' x 8' window display units for the front windows. Each is divided into nine 'squares', approximately 32" x 32" each. I built them out of 1x8 pine and finished them with Minwax Classic Oak stain. A lot of routing and cutting was involved.

They will be used to display small items for sale in the shop.

keithz