PDA

View Full Version : Source for floor mount or bracket mount slides

Brad Sperr
08-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I've built a media cabinet next to my tv (it's about 4ft tall, 2 1/2ft wide, and 2ft deep) to hold the cable box, receiver, etc. Everything is hooked up via wall plates behind the cabinet and in-wall wires. I'd like for the cabinet to look like a built-in that sits against the wall but be able to slide it away from the wall easily to access all of the wires.

I think I'm going to attach a piece of plywood to the subfloor underneath the cabinet to raise it just above the level of the carpet and am trying to decide what slides I need to bring it out from the wall. I should be able to cover up the slides with baseboard or other trim. I like the idea of floor mount slides that I could attach to the side of the media cabinet (like the one's pictured below available from Rockler) but I haven't been able to find any heavy-duty ones (I'm thinking they would need to hold around 200lbs). Accuride also makes some brackets for their 9301 slides that would do the job, but the slides and the brackets would be a little too expensive. I've also seen some undermount slides (like pantry or media center slides), but they're also pretty pricey.

Does anyone have a low-cost source for slides that would fit the bill? I'm also wondering if I could just take any old side-mount drawer slide and mount it to the floor with L brackets. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry Browning
08-06-2009, 1:59 PM
MY initial thoughts on this is that the slide will have to support a lot of weight, so a drawer slide probably is not going to be able to do that, unless it is VERY heavy duty, and those are not cheap.
I found this place (http://www.schockmetal.com/?gclid=COL4gpHNj5wCFc5L5QodKHcHYQ) via a google search. They have a hanging file cabinet slide (http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT138613/sc.2/category.18/.f). that looks like it might work.There are TONS of sources for slides with all kinds of choices. But for something that needs to support a couple hundred pounds, I really don't think there is a low-cost option. I would think you would be hard pressed to find anything that is going to work well for less than $80 to $100. I don't really know, just speculation.

Brad Sperr
08-06-2009, 3:11 PM
Thanks Larry. You're probably right about there being no cheap way out. I may just have to break down and buy some of the dedicated undermount slides for this sort of application.