PDA

View Full Version : Childern and Vacation

James Jaragosky
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Well the children are finely too old to want to vacation with us, so the wife and I are taking our first childless vacation in 25 years.
We will be visiting the U.K., France, Netherlands, & Scotland.
I look forward to taking many pictures of architecture, woodworking & art.
We purchased three 2G memory cards for the camera. The wife thinks that is too much and I am worried that it will not be enough.
We have been following the weather over there, and we were surprised that it is much cooler than in the U.S. this time of year.
If we take any uniquely interesting pictures I will post them, I will not bore you with the standard vacation type photos of people places and things that you would have no interest in.
Regards
Jim J.

P.S. for those of you thinking of looting our place while we are off spending the kids inheritance; we leave behind three dogs and three adult age children to watch the place, as well as one very nosy neighbor.
Therefore, the home front should be safe from intruders; but I am not so sure we are safe from parties.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
James,

Last December the LOML and I spent 10 days in New Zealand. She took 32 GB for her two cameras. She shot 24 GB.

We don't have a laptop so downloading them to the laptop wasn't an option.

Enjoy!

My wife was a lovely blonde divorcee with 2 kids when I met her. We literally left the church, picked up the kids (my Mom babysat them as she and the kids all had the flu) and went home. We'd been married 28 years before we had our first solo vacation. ENJOY!

Stephen Musial
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
What kind of camera do you have an how many megapixels? You want to take all the pictures at the highest resolution and worry about cropping, etc. when you get home. For a trip like that, I'd probably figure at least 1 4gig card per country. Good news is, cards are cheap and you can just as easily buy them over there if you need them.

Phyllis Meyer
08-06-2009, 11:40 AM
James,

Have a wonderful vacation, and we look forward to pictures when you return!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Rod Sheridan
08-06-2009, 1:08 PM
James, have fun on your vacation.

Yes the weather is cooler there, the US is actually a very warm climate (in most places).

My wife is from England and finds Canada hot, when we go the southern US, she melts.

I also second the issue of not enough camera memory, I would triple it at least.

Regards, Rod.

Larry Browning
08-06-2009, 1:38 PM
I always say, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." I think this especially true for something as small and cheap as photo memory cards.
Also, keep in mind that you should be able to find more memory cards while on your trip, but there is no guarantee.

Craig Coney
08-06-2009, 1:53 PM
Only 6GB? I would take more, the memory cards are cheap now.

Also, buy some extra batteries to take with.

I would buy your batteries and cards locally, no telling what you will pay for them on your trip. A friend of mine paid $90 for a $30 battery, as that was all he could find and had to have a spare on his trip.

James Jaragosky
08-06-2009, 1:57 PM
What kind of camera do you have an how many megapixels? You want to take all the pictures at the highest resolution and worry about cropping, etc. when you get home. For a trip like that, I'd probably figure at least 1 4gig card per country. Good news is, cards are cheap and you can just as easily buy them over there if you need them.
Canon 5 meg pix, nothing special, but i have been very happy with the quality on the best setting. I think I can get around 280 such photos on 1 card.
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Eric Larsen
08-06-2009, 2:18 PM
\
We will be visiting the U.K., France, Netherlands, & Scotland.
I look forward to taking many pictures of architecture, woodworking & art.
We purchased three 2G memory cards for the camera. The wife thinks that is too much and I am worried that it will not be enough.

Every photo processor in Europe (in the UK, they're called "chemists") will burn your pictures to a DVD-Rom for a nominal charge.

Even if I have enough memory, I still burn discs abroad -- as a backup. Memory cards can fail.

How are you getting around? I hope the answer is "by train." I much prefer trains to cars in Europe. There is no parking anywhere near anything a visitor would want to see (except places like Stonehenge).

Stephen Musial
08-06-2009, 2:19 PM
You'll want more memory but you might as well wait til you get to England - SD cards are about half there what they are here (including VAT).

Have fun and keep your eye open for some nice old tools.

Tom Godley
08-06-2009, 2:36 PM
I also would bring more than that.

You can get them to a disk while you are away - I just never get around to it.

Find out what the max card the camera will hold and get a couple -- I bought a few 16GB cards a few months ago -- they are incredibly cheap.

........get them online

Ben Hatcher
08-06-2009, 2:48 PM
James 6 gigs should be more than enough. In my experience, travel photos are like cut offs...90% of them should really go in the trash. At the end of each day, review your pictures; delete the duplicates, bad shots, and those that you can't remember why you took them. If you can, create a new folder in your camera for each place or each day. That makes it easier to remember where you were and what each picture is.

Europe tends to have lots of internet cafes. If you bring a USB card reader that fits your SD card, you can upload your favorite shots to photobucket or another online photo album on the road while you still remember the names of the things in the photo. It is also a nice way to keep the people back home updated on your activities, a safeguard against lost cards, and they're almost always air conditioned.

Another travel tip: get a card when you check in at your hotel. It is a lot easier to give a cab driver the card than to try and explain where you're staying.

Brent Leonard
08-06-2009, 5:13 PM
In all the travelling I do,

I prefer to pack light and buy some of what I need (batteries, etc..) at my destination. This particularly holds true when going to first world nations. Africa would be a VERY different story

My wife is of the school of bringing everything, just in case you need it. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!

James Jaragosky
08-06-2009, 7:21 PM
Every photo processor in Europe (in the UK, they're called "chemists") will burn your pictures to a DVD-Rom for a nominal charge.

Even if I have enough memory, I still burn discs abroad -- as a backup. Memory cards can fail.

How are you getting around? I hope the answer is "by train." I much prefer trains to cars in Europe. There is no parking anywhere near anything a visitor would want to see (except places like Stonehenge).
yes we are doing public transportation or walking. if we were driving we would kill each other as we each cant stand the others driving.
thanks for the tip

James Jaragosky
08-06-2009, 7:24 PM
In all the travelling I do,

I prefer to pack light and buy some of what I need (batteries, etc..) at my destination. This particularly holds true when going to first world nations. Africa would be a VERY different story

My wife is of the school of bringing everything, just in case you need it. DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!
We are light packers. I am of the school, buy what you need as you go.

Brian Brown
08-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Canon 5 meg pix, nothing special, but i have been very happy with the quality on the best setting. I think I can get around 280 such photos on 1 card.
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Only 280 pics per card???!!! Get more memory. Of course how much depends on how much you shoot. Don't be conservative on your shooting with a once in a lifetime vacation. It is easy to delete something when you get home, but sad to say "I wish I got pictures of that "[insert missing photo here]" What ever you do, don't forget to have a copy (or 2) burned to CD/DVD while you are there. Cards do fail. Also, from my own personal experience (you think I'd learn after the first time, but no, not me) avoid SanDisk memory cards like they were swine flu. For me they have had the worst failure rate imaginable. Most of the professionals I have talked to say run like he** from SanDisk. There is a reason they are so cheap.
This may seem like overkill, but when I shoot something I'll never see again, I carry one copy of the images on my person, pack one in my lugggage, and FedEx the other home. This greatly increases the odds that at least one copy makes it home. Enjoy your trip. and take lots of pictures.