PDA

View Full Version : Resawing logs

Mike OMelia
08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
So I have some logs to resaw. How do I do this without them splitting after resawing? Do I coat them in Killz? Wax? I am a newbie to this, any help would be appreaciated. The end use will be guitar bodies, perhaps necks also.

Mike

johnny means
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Any old finish or paint you got will do the job. Just slather it on your end grain and wait for it to dry (the lumber that is). of course some lumber will be stressed and will check no matter what yo do.

Cody Colston
08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I suggest you coat the end-grain with green wood sealer...something like Anchorseal...then sticker the planks for drying.

Frank Drew
08-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Mike,

Checking is more likely if you don't saw the logs up; any coating (which retards too quick drying from the ends) is better than no coating, but I like green wood sealer that Cody recommends. In my experience it works a bit better than plain old paint, and is easier to use than having to melt wax.

Richard Bell CA
08-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Mike:

I also use green wood sealer. Check out this site for more information on milling logs - lots of good stuff.

http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Good Luck

Richard

Mike OMelia
08-06-2009, 4:27 PM
Looks like Anchorseal is a "order only" product. Guess they do not carry it at borgs. Whaa.

Mike

Richard Bell CA
08-06-2009, 5:01 PM
Mike:

They should have Anchorseal or a similar product at Woodcraft, Rockler or whatever woodworking store is close to you.

Richard

Frank Drew
08-06-2009, 6:54 PM
And several mail order places stock some version of green wood sealer; I've used Craft Supplies version.

David Christopher
08-06-2009, 7:16 PM
Mike, if you are cutting this up for guitar bodies I am assuming a minimum of 2" slabs and that will take forever to dry....why dont you see if theres someone around your area that has a kiln.....4 to 6 weeks and their done and around here its somewhere around 10 to 20 cents a BF

Mike OMelia
08-07-2009, 9:08 AM
I bought some anchorseal from the manufacturer's website.

Thanks,

Mike