PDA

View Full Version : Shaker raised panel bit sets: recommendations?

Sean Rainaldi
08-06-2009, 8:29 AM
Hi,

I need to plunk down some $ on a shaker bit set to do the raised panels for my kitchen cabinets and finish them off. I like the Amana historical shaker set but at almost 300 bucks it's a bit over our budget, we are way over budget as it is. On the other end of the scale I found the Sommerfeld tool shaker bit set on sale for 129. Is the Amana set worth the almost 3 times the price?

Although I don't want to spend 300 bucks, if it means the bits will last much longer and be less prone to breakage I might wait until I can afford it. Or are there any bit sets in between price that are almost as good as the Amana? Anyone compare the Amana raised panel sets with other cheaper brands?

BTW, Amana claims their historical bit set is identical to the profiles the original shaker furniture colonies made over 100 years ago, is this true or just marketing hype? If true, is there really that noticable of a difference in the results between the Amana and say a Sommerfeld set?

Thanks for any input.

Rob Wright
08-06-2009, 8:55 AM
I have the Sommerfeld set and find that it is very well made. I have probably run a kitchens worth of panels through it and have not had a problem with it and been pleased overall withthe cut and quality (cherry and Ipe). I Googled the Amana set - they profile is really different from the Sommerfeld Kit what I saw. The Sommerfeld kit also has a back cutter on the panel raiser that I have found to be a nice time saver.

Sommerfeld
http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/images/03005_FULL.jpg

Amana
http://www.amanatool.com/routerbits/images/historicalshaker-photo.jpg

Sean Rainaldi
08-06-2009, 9:07 AM
Thanks Rob. Do you think your Sommerfeld set is in good enough shape to do a second run of cabinets?

How many panels did you run? I have to do about 3 dozen total.

I'm doing hard maple...

Rob Wright
08-06-2009, 9:11 AM
I ran a total of 32 doors and I made 16 raised panel false drawer fronts. Even with running the Ipe - I should be able to run another 32.

Sam Layton
08-06-2009, 1:06 PM
Hi Sean,

A few mo's ago I purchased the a set of shaker shaper cutters from Infinity cutting tools, infinitytools.com. Their prices are good. I have used the cutters only for a few test cuts. So far I like the bits. They have the shaker cutters in shaper cutters or router bits.

Sam

John Schreiber
08-06-2009, 1:29 PM
. . . BTW, Amana claims their historical bit set is identical to the profiles the original shaker furniture colonies made over 100 years ago, is this true or just marketing hype? . . .
Shaker furniture was mostly of a distinct style, but details varied over time, between locations, and between individual craftsmen. Amana's claim is probably accurate, but it's not really meaningful.

Anything which looks right . . . is right.

Jon Stinson
08-06-2009, 7:51 PM
I bought these not to long ago, didn't use the raised panel part, but the rail and stile bit works out nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/MLCS-8391-Shaker-Cabinetmaker-5-Piece/dp/B000VIDZJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1246289039&sr=8-2

Sean Rainaldi
08-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Thanks for all your advice guys. John Schreiber (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=778)’s comments make a lot of sense as far as historical accuracy is concerned, because how can one specific router bit emulate the hand carved work of dozens of individual craftsmen in different locations 100 years ago.

Jim Becker
08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
For this type of cutter, I really like the design of the Freud panel bits. They really cut clean due to the way they implemented the "2+2" design.

Neal Clayton
08-10-2009, 3:19 AM
i agree. i got a straight 17.5 degree freud panel bit about a month ago and it cuts surprisingly well.

there are few things in this world i despise more than sanding end grain on panels ;). anything that alleviates that even the slightest bit is worth a look, imo.

Peter Quinn
08-10-2009, 6:56 AM
Ditto the Freud 2+2 design. I have a few of these panel bits I use for table top edges and they make a very clean smooth cut. I have a set of Amana rail and stile bits and have found nothing cuts better for me. Very versatile set. I probably paid $130 for it? I have made ump-te-nine doors with it, still going strong. I don't have any Amana panel raisers for the router.