PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Handle...

Laura Zaruba
09-06-2004, 10:03 AM
Inventory/Item ID numbers?? I'm trying to setup all my inventory and I'm running circles around myself because I can't figure out what would be the best method.

At first I considred using the same inventory numbers my vendors use, but then I ran into a problem when I started creating certain types of items. For example, let's say I create a certain style of plaque and I use the plaque from one vendor and a plaque plate from another vender. And to further complicate things, let's say I offer this plaque in different sizes and layout styles.

Is there anyway to come up with a fairly easy inventory system to tie everything togther so when I sell one of these items my plaque and plaque plate inventory is reduced? I use PeachTree 2003 and I'm not sure how to get this going. Perhaps I'm expecting too much out of the software, but there's got to be a better way.

Thanks in advance!

~Laura :)

Tyler Howell
09-06-2004, 10:29 AM
Hi Laura,

When I was cluging gizmoes together for musicians and broadcast technicians, I kept and inventory on Visicalc (dating myself) Now Excel. of all part numbers (P#) from the Manufacture.
For a finished product or sub assemly, I used my own P# system starting at .OO1 and in the comments section at the end there was either a symbol to identify the recipe of components or all the P#s. Never got over P# 030 with all revisions, but there were well over 300 different manu. P#s.
Worked pretty good.
Good luck! ;)

Chuck Burke
09-06-2004, 12:06 PM
Laura,

In the March/April issue of Graphics Pro magazine ( www.graphicpro.org (http://www.graphicpro.org) ) is a short article about a software called "ShopWorks". it is designed for the recognition industry and appears to have a lot of features including inventory management and tracking. (www.shopworx.com (http://www.shopworx.com) )
QuickBooks Pro also has some good inventory functions as well as being a great accounting package.

Good luck

Chuck

Charles McKinley
09-07-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi Laura,

Over at woodweb.com I know there are some people running peachtree. They have a forum dedicated to business practices. It is a site dedicated to professional woodworkers so there is more attention paid to concerns like yours.

Forums- Business and Management Forum
Knowledge base- Business - Estimating accounting & profitability

I find woodweb a very nice site for businees end of things. If you want to really see he fur fly say you are working out of your garage or a shop you inheritated and are working for $15/hr.

What are you making? Where are you selling it?

Tyler you are slipping buddie!!!;) Pics! We neeeeed pics Laura.:)

Welcome aboard! I hope your venture is successful.

Tyler Howell
09-08-2004, 8:08 AM
[QUOTE=Charles McKinley]Hi Laura,

Hey Chuck,
Everybody is well trained now:rolleyes: I don't have to be the hard guy! I see my montra "pictures please" on almost every post. ;)

Tyler you are slipping buddie!!!;) Pics! We neeeeed pics Laura.:)

Laura Zaruba
09-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Thank you all for you're responses. I'll look into the other forum as well. I have a meeting with my accountant today so I'll see what her thoughts are.

I will gladly post some pics soon...I'm not at the office at the moment. I do have one picture posted on the "Photos w/o PhotoGrav" or whatever I called that thread.

Currently I work out of my :::ahem::: basement workshop :::ahem::: :) But, actually I plan to keep it that way if at all possible to keep things flexible. However, I do my pricing and budgeting as though I have a small retail shop because who knows what the future will bring. Not to mention I realize I am running a full fledged business with real debt so I don't even give family much of a break...I want everyone to know this is much more than a hobby and I charge accordingly.

I have a very flexible day job and do the engraving in the afternoons/nights/weekends. Almost every spare minute I have is spent on my new business in one way or another.

I plan to start small and see how things go. I'm currently working with Lasersketch's black marble and focusing on doing laser etched photos. My latest project is a special collection of Pink Ribbon Plaques (for breast cancer awareness) featuring celebration and memorial plaques and $5 per plaque sold is donated to cancer related charities. (My family is very involved in breast cancer awareness as we recently lost my mother in law this year after a 5-year battle and we have several survivors in the family too.)

In addition to the black marble, I'm playing around with granite and the usual gift items: trinket boxes, ornaments, picture frames, etc.

I'd love to hear more about your businesses as well!

Laura Zaruba
09-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Guess I failed to mention WHERE I'm selling! For now it's via word of mouth as I just started. I am working on a website and will be partnering with local businesses - either for simple advertising purposes or with some sort of commision agreement.

In fact, if anyone has pointers on wholesale/commission agreements I'm all ears. I have a few ideas but would love to hear how others are doing it.

I was hoping to have a big grand opening before the holidays, but unfortunately to do it right and be fully prepared my public event will have to wait until early next year. I'm doing a small open house for friends/family/neighbors hopefully next month at home. In Jan/Feb I'm renting banquet facilities at our local botanical gardens to introduce my business to the general public. I feel this type of merchandise really needs to be seen in person to do it full justice. If all goes well I'll continue hosting events every couple of months. Luckily the rental price is reasonable and even if it doesn't result in a lot of sales that day, I think it's good advertising if nothing else.

Keith Outten
09-08-2004, 5:02 PM
Laura,

Engraving black marble is a good choice, marble has an attractive proffit margin and the competition in this area is very low. If you can partner with local photographers engraving marble can be another means of proffit for them and they have their own marketing that can also work for your business.

Another area that has worked for me is commercial signs. There is always a need for signs and volume work is available so you can keep a steady income. Check out the Thermark engraving materials...engraving glass in color is very popular and proffitable in my neck of the woods right now :)