PDA

View Full Version : $13 31" parralel clamp????

jim hedgpeth
08-06-2009, 7:14 AM
Have any of you used these clamps http://www.internationaltool.com/search.aspx?keywords=fortune+clamp

$13 for a 31" parralel is tempting if they are any good.

Jim

Matt Meiser
08-06-2009, 7:39 AM
It would be tempting for sure. If you order them, be sure to report back. For me it would be the long ones that would be of interest since they are normally so expensive and so rarely used.

Russ Boyd
08-06-2009, 8:06 AM
The item description calls it a 12" clamp. I would verify that you were actually getting a 31" before purchase.

Prashun Patel
08-06-2009, 8:32 AM
I think they're using the same description for all the clamps; they all say 12".

Beware of cheap clamps. I'm an owner of MANY cheap clamps, and I can tell you that they are hit and miss.

glenn bradley
08-06-2009, 8:42 AM
I agree with Shawn. I've felt good about certain 'good deals' I've gotten on some clamps but, they are always the last ones I reach for :(

On the other hand if I had always just bought K-bodys and such, I would never know how good they were since they just work and keep on working :)

Glen Blanchard
08-06-2009, 10:40 AM
If you migrate to their home page and click on the link to the left of the page titled, "220 Volt Tools", you are taken to a page filled with cordless tools of various manufacturers!!

I would proceed with extreme caution.

jim hedgpeth
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
I see they are out of Florida, anyone there ever heard of them?

Brian Backner
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Never heard of them, but the Better Business Bureau has ...

While they are not BBB accredited, they have an "A" rating from them:

http://www.seflorida.bbb.org/businessreport.aspx?companyid=11003471

That usually means they're pretty reputable.

Brian

Fred Hargis
08-06-2009, 11:27 AM
I've first bought from them over 10 years ago, never anything big, but some power hand tools and accessories. I've never had a problem, and their prices are (or at least, were) very competitive.

Kyle Iwamoto
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree with Matt. Take the plunge, buy a set (or 2, they're cheap) and please report your reactions. If they're a good deal, I'm sure they'll get flooded by buyers from this board:D. It would also be good to report how they compare to Jets, Besseys and Jorges.

george wilson
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
They are $5.00 cheaper on their Bosch electric planer kit than Lowe's is. But,then you have to pay shipping.

I bought several cheap clamps from Enco back in the 80's as my shop at work's budget was low. They all had their screws threaded in crooked,the way a clamp that has been overtightened gets(C clamp). They were pretty useless.

jim hedgpeth
08-06-2009, 1:05 PM
I just picked up 4 hr overtime, sounds like clamp money to me. I dont have any Jet, Bessey, or Jorgies to compare to. I have played with the Jorgies at HD though. I will let you all know after I get a couple, and use them a bit, how they do.

Jim

Dave Sweeney
08-06-2009, 1:24 PM

Yup I have and I've purchased many of my Jet parallel clamps and other items from them. Their prices are competitive and their service was great on every order.

jim hedgpeth
08-06-2009, 6:02 PM
I ran a search looking for info. about these clamps, and the company that makes them, and ran across something interesting. Check out http://www.tool-r-us.com/woodworking-clamp.htm?offset=6&mode=list&cid=9

First off whats the difference between "parallel action" and "parallel" clamps?

Second look through some of this stuff, lot of it looks familiar. :confused: I recognize things from at least 4 companies. A lot of those items are "Not available to distributors in U.S.A. or Canada".

Then try to get prices. No can do, unless you are a company.

So now I wonder if they make these items for those companies and sell "off brand" ones as well, or are they simply rip-offs? They do offer "company branding" of items.

Ken Platt
08-06-2009, 10:18 PM
It's been maybe 5 years or so since my last purchase from them, but I've purchased from them several times, never any problem. They've been around for at least as long as I've been ww'ing, 15 years or so. They run ads, or at least used to, in the usual ww mags also.

Ken

Jacob Reverb
08-07-2009, 5:41 AM

I dealt with them several years ago, no complaints (this was before Al G. invented the Intardwebs).

Jeffrey Makiel
08-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Cheap clamps are hit and miss. Mostly miss. They also seem to stick around in my shop tormenting me.

I've learned my lesson over the years, but my urge to find a diamond in a pile of poop often gets the best of me.

If you buy some, let us know your thoughts.

Good luck,
Jeff :)

Curt Harms
08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I bought a pair of 24" parallel clamps from HF for $15/each. Made in India. Recently I bought a pair of 24" Woodcraft branded parallel clamps. Made in India under Bessy's supervision (supposedly) Except for the color of the plastic, I can't see or feel any difference at all. Big Lots needs to come by another carload or two of the 48" Stanley parallel clamps for $15/each:p.

Matt Meiser
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Big Lots needs to come by another carload or two of the 48" Stanley parallel clamps for $15/each:p.

Amen! I got some 18's and some 48's which I cut down to an 18's because I had plenty of medium length clamps. I actually think I like them better than the Bessey's due to the handle.

jim hedgpeth
08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Well, I ordered 4 of the 31" to try out. That should help on the desk I have been working on. When they get here I will get some pics and check them over, and let you all know how they do.

Jim

Chuck Isaacson
08-09-2009, 4:56 PM
Well, I ordered 4 of the 31" to try out. That should help on the desk I have been working on. When they get here I will get some pics and check them over, and let you all know how they do.

Jim

Make sure to give a full review if you can. I think that plenty of people will be interested to hear what you have to say about these including myself. Good luck.

CHuck

Mike Nguyen
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I just got 4 of the 31" clamps. They are used with glue on the metal bar. They are better than the F type clamps but nowhere near parallel clamps. I would not buy them again.
Mike

Chris Tsutsui
08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Generally you get what you pay for...

I'm a little bummed that I bought 4 of each Jorgensen 24" and 36" Parallel clamps because I had a gift card at HD. They were like $32ea and $40ea...

I wish I could have gotten Bessey's from Lowes because the Jorgensen's didn't get good reviews on Amazon. :(

One guy broke it while clamping and several had trouble with the clamps getting stuck. Thus, I hope I don't have any issues with the Jorgs... Havn't used them yet though.