PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Stanley Braces

Dan Andrews
08-06-2009, 6:30 AM
I have been accumulating old woodworking tools for 40 years. Some tools I have used regularly and others I have stored. Recently I decided to clean, lube and display my tools. I have been able to research Stanley planes, Millers Falls drills and braces, and Disston saws on websites devoted to those specific brands and tools. So far I have not been able to find any website that identifies Stanley or Victor braces by model and year.

I would appreciate any help you can give me. References to books covering this kind of tool identification would also be appreciated.:)

Dan Andrews
08-20-2009, 6:15 AM
I just want to bring this question up to active topics. Any suggestions on good books for tool identification and dateing? Not just stanley, but that might cover any drills, saws and planes.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Koepke
08-20-2009, 8:50 PM
Dan,
Welcome to the Creek.

I am not sure there is any definitive work on all tools.

There are a lot of books and sites with information that is useful.

One work that comes up all the time for Stanley tools is John Walter's work, Antique and Collectable Stanley Tools. It is out of print and if you find a copy for less than $100, grab it. If you do not like it, you will have no trouble selling it. At less than $100, I may even be able to talk my wife into letting me get a second copy to mark up with notes.

georgesbasement.com has a lot of information on braces and some other tools.

oldtools.com has a section for books and currently has a copy of THE AMERICAN PATENTED BRACE 1829 - 1924 by Ronald W. Pearson D.O. For sell.

Much research has been done by looking through old tool catalogs.

Here is a source for many old publications and catalogs:

http://toolemera.com/

There are so many others. It would take a few hours to make a list and it may be against the rules here to list so many links. The links listed above should be a good start for braces.

jim

Dan Andrews
08-21-2009, 10:23 PM
hanks for he welcome and he leads on websi es jim. i have been o Georges Basemen , bu will also check ou he o hers.

keboard or compu er is screwing up. i don' real pe his badl .