PDA

View Full Version : Fastcap's Arts & Crafts ebony pegs

Jamie Buxton
08-06-2009, 1:12 AM
Fastcap has introduced an inexpensive and fast way to put those square proud pegs on Arts & Crafts style furniture. http://www.fastcap.com/aaccents-mortisetool.aspx

What do you think?

Steve Rozmiarek
08-06-2009, 1:21 AM
Hmmm... Thats pretty clever. Completely cheating, but clever.

John Stevens
08-06-2009, 6:49 AM
Oh, if only my step-dad were alive to see that, he would've loved it.

On the other hand, 5/16" is within a couple thou' of 8mm...I wonder how it would work to square the ends of an 8mm Domino mortise?

Thanks, Jamie.

Regards,

John

Mitchell Andrus
08-06-2009, 8:56 AM
OK, I'll be the first to spray lacquer on them to see if they dissolve... or see if the lacquer lifts and peels off in a year or two.

It's so easy and cheap to make real ebony pegs, I'll bet these are no cheaper. A bit faster to cut the recess I guess, but if you're just sinking 1/8" or so anyway... why not just do it the right way and clean out a flat bottom?

Also, it looks like you're supposed to clobber the bejeezus out of the wood to make the recess. What about rebound or use in a really hard wood like white oak? I'd assume it'd be best to do the clobbering on a part that hasn't been through too much of an assembly process.

Seems like a solution for a problem that didn't exist. Clever though.

John Thompson
08-06-2009, 9:13 AM
Interesting idea but I am skeptical so.. I think I will pass and just do it how I've been doing it for years. ;)

Stephen Musial
08-06-2009, 9:21 AM
What about rebound or use in a really hard wood like white oak?

If you're going to use those, you'll probably also use pine and stain it to look like oak. Next up, fake tenon ends you can Liquid Nail on to your piece so you don't have to be bothered with making real joints.

/no, I didn't get any sleep last night and I'm crabby - why do you ask?

Jamie Buxton
08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Mitchell Andrus;1189388]...
Also, it looks like you're supposed to clobber the bejeezus out of the wood to make the recess. What about rebound or use in a really hard wood like white oak? I'd assume it'd be best to do the clobbering on a part that hasn't been through too much of an assembly process....QUOTE]

Yeah, I can't figure out that clobbering tool. The pics of the hole look more like they'd be made by a hollow-chisel mortiser, and the tips of the peg looks exactly like a hollow chisel. Perhaps if the hole gets made that way, it reduces your concerns.

george wilson
08-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Seems like the mortise tool would have a hard time denting oak deep enough! Do they sell a sharpening cone?

Frank Drew
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm with Stephen: If this keeps up we'll pretty soon forget the reality that inspired the artifice.

Thomas S Stockton
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
The other problem I see is that on my moniter the pegs look brown. I imagine if you hit on just right it would pop off. Kinda chessy in my opinion, "Lee press on pegs"
Tom

glenn bradley
08-06-2009, 1:57 PM
I rather enjoy making the pillow plugs for G&G stuff. Those are sort of cool in a Hollywood stage-prop sort of way and could save time on something temporary that would only be seen from a distance. I wouldn't use them on anything serious but, that's just me. ;-)