PDA

View Full Version : Lock the doors.......close the windows...and turn on the AC.....It's gonna get ugly!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Lewiston's Hot August Nights.............2009

I am an old 60's and 70's rocker!

I moved here in 1982. I didn't realize that I had moved to a place with a love for music from that era?

This year's entries...........

August 21, 2009......Little River Band

August 22, 2009......Mark Farner...former lead singer and founding member of Grand Funk Railroad

It's held in a fenced in area of a city park......beer vendors...food vendors...a couple of thousand of my closest friends to help me celebrate my 60th birthday which will happen a couple of days later.....

Close windows...bar the doors...bring the dogs in.. .turn on the AC...it's going to get Ugly!

Steve Schlumpf
08-06-2009, 7:38 AM
Now THAT sounds like a party! Will there be cake? Maybe you can get Mark to do a shout-out and wish you a Happy Birthday! Have fun!

Nate Carey
08-06-2009, 7:43 AM
Ken, did I see you at Woodstock?

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2009, 9:50 AM
Nate,

You didn't see me at Woodstock. I was in a barracks at Great Lakes Naval Station at the time.....darn it!

Nate Carey
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
It was a very unique experience...an experience I would not repeat for love or money!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-06-2009, 10:11 AM
It was a very unique experience...and no way would I do it again!

Some lessons you only need to learn once?:rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
08-22-2009, 1:38 AM
LittLe River Band....Okay but I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money

Tommorow night..............Grand Funk.............I hope I'm not disappointed.

Dennis Peacock
08-22-2009, 7:12 AM
Have fun buddy.!!! I loved both of those bands. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2009, 2:32 AM
For 19 years IIRC Lewiston has hosted "Hot August Nights" a 3 day show and shine and some old 60's and 70's rock bands of renown on Friday and Saturday night.

I've seen everything from Paul Revere and the Raiders (Idaho natives) to Gary Lewis and the Playboys, The Buckinghams, The Rascals, The Animals, Chubby Checkers, B.J. Thomas, Johnny Rivers and tonight......

Mark Farner...one of the originals from Grand Funk Railroad.....

I was disappointed last night.....the Little River Band....okay but I wouldn't pay $28 and walk across the street to see them again.....

Tonight, however, I got to see Mark Farner. If you are a 60's rocker and liked Grand Funk Railroad and have the opportunity to go see Mark Farner when he's playing in your neighborhood......go....I don't care what the price is.....

He has surrounded himself with some really skilled musicians and IMHO he's as good today if not better than he was 40 years ago when he wrote or co-wrote most of the hits of Grand Funk Railroad......If you go you will hear a wide variety of music from ZZ Top to the Eagles to Grandfunk......and a major portion of it is Mark Farner's music that he wrote after Grand Funk.....it's still Grand Funk style.

The LOML is not a 60's rocker but she's learned to put up with my fetish.....last night we left 1 hour before The Little River Band finished . Tonight....we were clapping in the crowd when the last lights were turned off......

If you are an old Vietnam Vet or Era Vet and a fan of Grand Funk Railroad...if Mark Farner is in your neighborhood.....Go....He's as good or better than he was 40 years ago! JMHO.

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2009, 7:06 AM
Hello.
LOL!
Woodstock ala 2009 - w/all the 60's rockers in attendance.--

Country Joe and the Fish lead off the infamaous "fish cheer".
It's changed an bit and now sounds like this:

"Gimme a "V", gimme an "I", gimme an "A", gimme a "G" gimme an "R", gimme an "A"."

Instead of sliding in the mud & having a good time, this time around all the Scooters & Hover-Rounds are midered down in the muck & spinning their wheels.

Instead of passing around a joint, the crowd is pleased to pass the mask of an oxygen bottle.

The large gray Goodyear blimp hovers overhead.
A large gray Melanie takes center stage.
It's hard to tell one from the other. (Hint: Melanie is the one w/out Goodyear written on the side).

A attempt to recreate the defiant act of buring a draft card fails when the attendees are asked to burn their Medicare card.

Tet then was an offensive.
Now it refers to a type of hose worn by 90% of the crowd.

The loudspeaker annouces a bad batch of Extense is going around.

:D:D

(Rich - an aged 60's rocker that vastly prefers to "listen & not look". All of them have gotten so old and gray and overweight! ;))

Bob Genovesi
08-23-2009, 7:57 AM
LittLe River Band....Okay but I wouldn't spend a lot of time and money

Tommorow night..............Grand Funk.............I hope I'm not disappointed.

From one old rocker to another; Grand Funk Railroad was / is still one of may favorite bands. I saw them perform at the Providence Civic Center in 1972... BB King opened for them....