PDA

View Full Version : Handed Down Tools

Tyler Howell
09-06-2004, 9:50 AM
I notice a lot of posts and sentiment on tools handed down through the generations lately. I've acquired some prized possessions this way, by methods shared in this poem and I've also passed on my fair share of tools to future generations in this manner.
Chuck is a Farmer, WW and Musician I've had the pleasure to hear in concert.
There is something very special about a hand me down no matter how you get it. I had a friend ask for my old Racket Ball racket for a match we were playing. He said the old one had all the moves, kill shots, and experience already built in. I reminded him of all the screw ups that were in there too:p .
Same with tools. A lot of energy, spirit and experience passed down from Master to student in a hand me down tool. Hope I can carry on the high standards set by the craftsman that came before.
Enjoy

Dean Baumgartner
09-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the post Tyler.

It's a good thing to stop and remember those hand me down tools along with the people we got them from and all we learned at their side.

Dean

Paul Downes
09-07-2004, 8:00 PM
Tyler, the poem sounds like it is referencing an Indians tool. I have to say that I have found some interesting artifacts over the years. Hammer stones are not that uncommon at sites where Indians mined knappable materials like flint. I found a scraper blade once that showed a high degree of skill in its manufacture. An archeological friend of mine lusted after it after viewing the fine flake patterns; He commented that only a master could achieve such a feat. I also found a flint knife that I traded to the same guy for a lawnmower. It is a beautiful specimen that showed 2-3 resharpenings in its life. I bet that Indian was pissed when he lost that one! It sure is a neat thing to find a tool that was made 100’s of years ago and to see the skill employed by these first American’s. Incidentally, this same friend of mine is a skilled flint knapper who has hunted and killed game including deer and bear with stone points and self bows. They are very effective weapons. I have come to the opinion that the poor settlers that were on the receiving end of such weapons were in serious trouble. Mike’s work can be seen at; artofishi.hypermart.net.