PDA

View Full Version : Raile/stile router set up.

Dave Lehnert
08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
I have a job that needs two raised panel doors. I picked up a cheap set at HF. If I like how they work I will invest in a better set.
Of course the HF set did not come with any set-up instructions. Any tips?
This is a set with separate bits, not the kind you flip for each cut.

Chris Kennedy
08-06-2009, 6:36 AM
Dave,

Try here:

http://www.oldham-usa.com/Products/BitsMain/Tip%20and%20tricks/Sect02/5_basic_steps.htm

If that isn't enough, send me a PM and I can copy the instructions that came with my set (Freud) and send them to you. If you haven't already, you will want to build a coping sled.

Cheers,

Chris

Curt Harms
08-06-2009, 7:13 AM
I started out cutting the rails & stiles then doing the cuts. I was having trouble getting nice clean cope cuts. In my experience router bits are happier cutting with the grain than across the grain. Where the bit exited the ends of the rail would oftentimes tear out, especially if I did the stick cuts first. Backing pieces helped but still weren't perfect. I read someplace to make the cope cuts on the ends of stock wide enough to get 2 rails out of plus 1/2" or so. Plane to thickness, make cope cuts along the entire width, cut the profile where the panel goes on each edge, then rip to width. The advantage to this is that any tearout where the cope bit exits can be ripped off. Having a backer when making the cope cuts helps but I had better luck with the above technique plus I'm working with wider stock which always seems more stable and safer. Downside to doing cope and stick cuts then ripping is the grain will run opposite directions top & bottom. If this is an issue, cope, rip then cut the stick cuts.

Edit- keep a piece with both cope & stick cuts on it. Label it as setup. Use it to set up the bits next time, it's quicker.

Greg Sznajdruk
08-06-2009, 8:38 AM
David:

Have a look at this video it's a good overview of the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEtFvFwsaHY&feature=related

Greg

Dave Lehnert
08-06-2009, 9:50 PM
Thanks for all the info.

Think I can get all the info I need from the links above.