PDA

View Full Version : Thumbnail Viewer

Dave Lock
08-05-2009, 7:19 PM
Hail Creekers,

Does anyone know of a thumbnail viewer that will print a page of thumbnails.

I'm using ST Thumbnails Explorer but it doesn't have that feature.

If I have a customer that requests a image type, I would like to be able to print off a page of thumbnail images for them to browse.

It would be handy also to help build a printed catalogue of available images.

Advice appreciated.

Dave.

Frank Corker
08-05-2009, 8:49 PM
Try ACDSee here: http://store.acdsee.com/

Not affiliated with them, don't know anyone who sells it, don't wish to sell it to anyone, just a program I use and does thumnail prints, but not owned by me or have shares with them.

Jeff Bratt
08-05-2009, 8:52 PM
The free program Picasa (http://picasa.google.com/) - from Google - will automatically print collections of images in several sizes, up (down?) to 8 per page. How many per page would qualify as "thumbnails" for you?

Darren Null
08-05-2009, 9:03 PM
XNView.
www.xnview.com/

Like ACDSee, but (with ghostscript, also free) can view eps files as well. I used to use ACDSee all the time, but needed the eps view and I like XNView just as much now I've got used to it.

EDIT: You have to PAY for ACDSee now!!??!!??!!. Definitely XNView.

Dave Lock
08-05-2009, 9:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys,

I'll have a look at these and let you know which one I go with.

Cheers

Dave.

Dave Garcia
08-05-2009, 9:40 PM
Dave,

Depending on whether you use a PC or a Mac, Adobe Photo Shop has whats known as a "proof sheet" function that allows you to put many thumbnail sized photos on a page. If you use a Mac, then iPhoto does this very easily. But Adobe Photo Shop, for both the Mac and the PC, has this function.

Comments from other SMC folks please?

Might this help out a little or did I miss what you were asking for all together?

Definitely make a "catalog" of your work. It certainly "displays" well and makes it a LOT easier to sell your product.

Hope to see a post of some of your work when you get this done! Thanks in advance.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 9:47 PM
Try ACDSee here: http://store.acdsee.com/

Not affiliated with them, don't know anyone who sells it, don't wish to sell it to anyone, just a program I use and does thumnail prints, but not owned by me or have shares with them.

Frank,

Seriously, I think you should post your stock portfolio holdings so we know exactly what DO have a financial interest in.

Frank Corker
08-06-2009, 9:23 AM
You are a one! :D

Dave Lock
08-06-2009, 4:07 PM
Dave,

Depending on whether you use a PC or a Mac, Adobe Photo Shop has whats known as a "proof sheet" function that allows you to put many thumbnail sized photos on a page. If you use a Mac, then iPhoto does this very easily. But Adobe Photo Shop, for both the Mac and the PC, has this function.

Comments from other SMC folks please?

Might this help out a little or did I miss what you were asking for all together?

Definitely make a "catalog" of your work. It certainly "displays" well and makes it a LOT easier to sell your product.

Hope to see a post of some of your work when you get this done! Thanks in advance.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Thanks Dave,

I have Adobe PhotoShop CS3 but I couldn't see any Proof Sheet function. I checke the help files but couldn't find mention of it. I'm using a PC with Vista.

What I am trying to do is to create multiple pages of thumbnail printouts to build a catalogue of the images I have available. The customer can then browse the thumbnails to find the image they want engraving.

Darren,
I downloaded Xnview but I can't get it to show .eps or .ai thumbnails. I have Ghostscript installed. ST thumbnail explorer uses it. This does show the eps and ai thumbnails but doesn't have a print facility.

Windows Vista has the 'snipping' tool which will allow me to select any part of the screen and capture it. I may try that for the time being and see how it goes. I'll let you all know.

Thanks again

Dave.

Dave Lock
08-06-2009, 4:44 PM
Well there's a very simple and effective solution.....

As mentioned I use ST Thumbnail Explorer which I find really good, except it doesn't have a thumbnail print feature.
For those using Vista, the solution without having to load yet another software was to use the Snipping tool.
I just adjusted the thumbnail size, used the snipping tool to highlight the thumbnails, clicked 'copy', opend a word document in landscape and narrow margins. Hit 'paste' and hey presto, A nice page of images with a neat border line of a colour of choice.

Here's an example of an A4 landscape page from my soon to be catalogue of images...

http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/forum/uploads/IMG2-1249591561.jpg

Many thanks to those taking the time to share links to software solutions.

Regards

Dave.

Darren Null
08-06-2009, 6:21 PM
I downloaded Xnview but I can't get it to show .eps or .ai thumbnails. I have Ghostscript installed. ST thumbnail explorer uses it. This does show the eps and ai thumbnails but doesn't have a print facility.
I installed XNView THEN Ghostscript; I don't know if that makes a difference, but it worked straight out of the box for me. I do seem to recall that I had to hunt around for the right windows version as the link was (and still is dead). I have it here if you would like & can't find it.

Steve Clarkson
08-06-2009, 6:58 PM
Dave,

Family pictures?

OK, where can I find this snipping tool?

Dave Lock
08-06-2009, 7:42 PM
I installed XNView THEN Ghostscript; I don't know if that makes a difference, but it worked straight out of the box for me. I do seem to recall that I had to hunt around for the right windows version as the link was (and still is dead). I have it here if you would like & can't find it.

Thanks Darren. I do have Ghostscript installed already. I did try re-installing it to see if that helped but no luck. I'll keep trying though as I quite like the look of it.

Dave,

Family pictures?

OK, where can I find this snipping tool?

:D:D:D

You should find it in the accessories folder. If you have Vista Ultimate I think you have to go to the 'install windows components' to activate it.
I put the icon for it on my toolbar because it is quite handy sometimes.

Cheers

Dave.

Bill Cunningham
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Here's an example of an A4 landscape page from my soon to be catalogue of images...

http://lincs-hft-club.co.uk/forum/uploads/IMG2-1249591561.jpg

Wow.. Nothing like a nice happy clown face to brighten your day eh! :D

Darius Ferlas
08-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Under Windows no need to download or buy anything. Their built-in fax and image viewer has the feature. It only becomes apparent when you actually try to print something and a wizard dialog is presented.

Steve Clarkson
08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks......had no idea it was there!