PDA

View Full Version : Flyin’ in style

Bruce Page
08-05-2009, 5:29 PM
A pilot friend of mine just returned from the 2009 Oshkosh AirAdventure air show and sent me these pics of a pretty cool Woody.

Mitchell Andrus
08-05-2009, 5:53 PM
Very cool. It's a kit (or at least home built) with a really nice repro engine.... and disc brakes. Not cheap.

I'm so glad regulation fever hasn't knocked this kind of thing out of the sky. Yet.

Bruce Page
08-05-2009, 8:25 PM
Mitchell, my friend finished his homebuilt RV-8A this past December. I had the pleasure of making some air intake parts for the motor. He’s offered to take me up several times but I’m afraid he would go out of his way to make me hurl… :rolleyes:

Here’s a cool little video of his build and first flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE

Joe Mioux
08-05-2009, 8:51 PM
so..... when do you start your own woody?

great story and video. thanks bruce.

joe

Scott T Smith
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM
That "woody" appears to be a Pietenpol Air Camper, which is the very first "homebuilt airplane". The plans were originally offered in the late 20's or early 30's, and use a modified engine from a Ford Model T.

A friend and neighbor of mine built one a few years back. I did the aluminum TIG welding for him on his fuel tank and some other components.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-08-2009, 9:35 PM
did ne say whether the engine was one of the original rotary engines - the kind where the whole engine spun around.

They were standard fare on lots of old planes. And they were hell to learn to fly what with a few hundred pounds of gyroscope on the front of the plane.