PDA

View Full Version : Gunstock Display

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 4:14 PM
I have a sample gunstock that I engraved and now want to put it on display.....so I was hoping a presentation expert could give me a suggestion.

The actual gunstock is approximately 20" long. I was thinking of using two pegs to rest it on, so people could pick it up and look at it. I would also like a little holder for business cards.

Since it's a WOODEN gunstock, I would thing that acrylic might clash with it. But I think leather would go well........

Has anyone made something like this or have any suggestions (good or bad)?

Tom Bull
08-05-2009, 4:26 PM
I would definately be looking at acrylic. One man's clash is another man's contrast.

Sheryl Haley
08-05-2009, 4:27 PM
Steve,
I am by no means a presentation expert but it would help to know if it is a shotgun or rifle and if it you want the entire gun on display or just the stock itself. I would also enjoy seeing a picture of your engraved work. My husband has a gunshop and I am always inspired by what others do to their gunstocks.

Sheryl Haley

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 4:33 PM
I would definately be looking at acrylic. One man's clash is another man's contrast.

I would definitely prefer acrylic......I have green, red, blue, black, orange, and clear.....what do you suggest?

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 4:42 PM
Uhhhhhh......I'm not a gun person. Looks like a rifle to me. Definitely not a handgun, I know that for sure!

Just the gunstock......I don't even have the rest of the gun! I just bought a gunstock to practice on.

Here are a few pictures. I have more......just can't find them on my computer right now. I had done a few patterns and they came out nice.

Sheryl Haley
08-05-2009, 4:52 PM
Steve,
Thanks for posting the pics. They are very nice. By the looks of your pictures it is a buttstock to a shotgun. I really like your dragon.

Sheryl Haley

Dave Lock
08-05-2009, 5:42 PM
Yes, looks good steve. Definately from a Shotgun.

How about an oval base with a vertical dowel with a hole in the underside of the shotgun butt so it sits on the dowel.

Could be clear acrylic or polished wood to match the engraved part.

Dave.

Dee Gallo
08-05-2009, 6:11 PM
Nice work, Steve! I would consider clear acrylic simply because it will "disappear" and allow the focus to be on the gunstock. Of course the display might be someplace you can show off a bit too, so maybe cutting an interesting shape or engraving a picture/border related to hunting would work well.

Dave's idea of a base with a vertical holder to make it seem like it's floating will encourage people to pick it up too!

cheers, dee

Dave Garcia
08-05-2009, 6:18 PM
Steve,

Nice work! I have a number of hunters that would love to see this. Is it OK to pass around your photos?

Acrylic would be the best to display this item I think. Does not take attention away from your work! Keep it simple!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Garcia
08-05-2009, 6:19 PM
Steve,

Did you say this stock was about 20 inches in length? Hmmmm. I just might want to get my laser with a working table that will take that length.

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Steve Clarkson
08-05-2009, 7:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas......I like the clear acrylic floating idea. So everyone is considering a table top display.......I guess I was thinking wall mounted......

Sure Dave......do whatever you like with it.

Sheryl, here's a file with both images.....the dragon is even a vector! Not sure where I got it.......but considering I get 99% of my stuff from here.....I'm sure it was probably from Wal-Mart.

Dan Hintz
08-05-2009, 7:52 PM
If you go with clear acrylic, don't forget to etch something into it and edge light with LEDs :)

Phil Salvati
08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Steve,

If you make an acrylic display, cover the mounting screws with Shotgun brass. It makes for a nice contrast.

Make sure you get spent rounds, Cut the plastic casing off of the brass. Raster engrave the area where the bolt/screw will be a few thousandth's deep.

Personally...If I were to mount this on a wall.... I would cut out a large oval, reverse engrave a bird dog on point, maybe with a pheasant taking flight, add a kennel name, etc.

I would add a 2 wood posts, one under the pistol grip area and one under the fore end, Covering them with spent shell, without removing the plastic here though.

This way you are advertising several of your abilities with your laser with one piece.

Just thinking out loud...being a big bird dog and gun nut!

P

Sheryl Haley
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the ideas......I like the clear acrylic floating idea. So everyone is considering a table top display.......I guess I was thinking wall mounted......

Sure Dave......do whatever you like with it.

Sheryl, here's a file with both images.....the dragon is even a vector! Not sure where I got it.......but considering I get 99% of my stuff from here.....I'm sure it was probably from Wal-Mart.

Steve,
Thank you for sharing the file on the artwork , but unfortunately I either didn't get your pm or I don't see the attatched files.

Sheryl Haley

Steve Clarkson
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh........if I only had a bird dog on point with a pheasant taking flight image........

Thanks for the ideas Phil !!!!!

Ray Uebner
08-06-2009, 3:29 PM
Great work Steve. They look great I really like the eagle being it is my logo. Where did you get the stocks? I think I would like to try one myself. What were your setting?
Thanks for the post.

Phil Salvati
08-06-2009, 4:38 PM
Steve...

Here are two bird dogs to start.... an E. Pointer and a Weimy!

Phil

Phil Salvati
08-06-2009, 4:57 PM
Here is a PheasNut for ya

Ray Uebner
08-06-2009, 5:09 PM
Thanks that should get me started with some items. I will post when I get one done. I will not be able to get to it for awhile though as have a lot of orders to get out before I can play with a new item. Thanks again.

Steve Clarkson
08-06-2009, 6:50 PM
Steve,
Thank you for sharing the file on the artwork , but unfortunately I either didn't get your pm or I don't see the attatched files.

Sheryl Haley

Sheryl, I'm too young to be gettin old and forgetful! Hopefully, I attached it this time!

Steve Clarkson
08-06-2009, 6:52 PM
Great work Steve. They look great I really like the eagle being it is my logo. Where did you get the stocks? I think I would like to try one myself. What were your setting?
Thanks for the post.

Ray, I went to a local gun show and just asked each vendor if they had any old/broken stocks that they wanted to get rid of......I got this one for $10 or $20.

I just used normal wood settings, but I think the dragon was two passes.

Steve Clarkson
08-06-2009, 6:55 PM
Here is a PheasNut for ya

Thanks Phil! I'll definitely try to include those.

Ray Uebner
08-06-2009, 7:23 PM
Thank you for the files. :)

Bill Cunningham
08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Ray, I went to a local gun show and just asked each vendor if they had any old/broken stocks that they wanted to get rid of......I got this one for $10 or $20.

I just used normal wood settings, but I think the dragon was two passes.

You don't own a gun Steve?????? I thought everyone in the U.S.A. owned a gun! :D:D:D

Steve Clarkson
08-07-2009, 12:00 AM
You don't own a gun Steve?????? I thought everyone in the U.S.A. owned a gun! :D:D:D

Never owned one, never shot one.....

Ray Uebner
08-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks Steve I will have to check out some gun shops and see what they have.

Dave Johnson29
08-07-2009, 2:33 PM
I thought everyone in the U.S.A. owned a gun!

More importantly Bill, they CAN own a gun if they want to. :D:D:D

Bill Cunningham
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Thats what freedom is all about..:)

Steven Wallace
08-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Steve, excellent work. One suggestion if I saw the picture correctly of the dragon. I think the head is going back towards the butt of the stock. I think is would look better if the head was reversed and was toward the front or working end of the gun. Like I said this is if I interpreted the picture correctly.

Steven Wallace
08-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Steve, I have a co-worker that owns property in New York and can't even take his guns from Arizona up there to shot on his own rural property. Between taxes and gun laws, I think I'll keep my business in AZ. Although New York is a beautiful state with some great people living there. I on the other hand have never had to shovel sunshine in the winter.

Dave Johnson29
08-12-2009, 11:58 AM
I on the other hand have never had to shovel sunshine in the winter.

Steve,

You have not lived in Northern AZ then. :D:D

December 3rd, 2006

Scott Shepherd
08-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I on the other hand have never had to shovel sunshine in the winter.

I have a cousin that's from Arizona and is in Iraq right now, so I watch the weather in both places fairly often. I doubt anyone in NY has had to look at 108 on their thermometer too many times, where as you guys are looking at it for weeks on end. It's the same temp in AZ as it is in Baghdad within a degree or so.

Man, that's just HOT.

Dave Johnson29
08-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Man, that's just HOT.

Yup, it is a bit cooler today, 103 yesterday and currently at 9:22am, 99. It gets about as hot as it is going to by around 7:30am and will stay that way until about 6:00pm. Two weeks back it was 106 for several days.

When it is 105+ here it is often around 115+ in Mesa (Phx). Glad I live up here in the cool. :D:D

In the left panel under "Temperature" click the "Daily extremes and averages"
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliFTrec.pl?azsnow (http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?azsnow)

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliFTrec.pl?azmesa

Steven Wallace
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Dave,
Daughter spent a couple of semesters up at NAU... been there, got the t-shirt. Nice to drive 2 hours and be in the snow and 2 hours later be playing golf in the 80s degree temps.

Scott,
Yeah the politicians need not come to Phoenix and talk global warming crud. We invented it and live. We know when it is starting to get warm, after our one day of winter, the snow birds (northern retirees) return to their motorhomes, pull up stakes and head for home in Canada. I just wish they would plumb in cooling water to door handles of most of the westerly facing building. With all that heat, my wife still takes a sweater when we leave the house. Go from 117 degrees outside and sit in a 76 degree restaurant with a fan blowing on you and it is down right chillee.