PDA

View Full Version : Belated post- Part 2

Dave Anderson NH
09-06-2004, 8:37 AM
These pictures show the table completed. The hardest part was making the white pine of the secondary wood look old. As for time management, this was a Christmas present and it was completed on time--- but just barely. The final rubout on the finish was completed at 10:30 PM on December 23rd. It left the shop and came up to the living room on Christmas Eve after Sue had gone to bed. It was a great load of fun building it and I learned quite a bit in the proscess.

Michael Stafford
09-06-2004, 8:42 AM
Love to see pretty work. I find that a nice glass of chablis makes rubbing out the finish much more pleasant also. (See second photo this post.) Wife should be pleased.

Mark Singer
09-06-2004, 9:05 AM
Dave,
Excellent work! This looks like a difficult project that requires many skills...all performed very well! Is the apron hinged with a pin?
Graet job!

Tyler Howell
09-06-2004, 9:09 AM
Author! Author! Bravo, Bravo. You've mastered the authentic look.

Now remember Mike, no sharps or power tools with the fruit of the grape.:( ;)

Mike Cutler
09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Nice work Dave! That's a really nice execution. I'm hesitant to use the words "Repro, Period Piece, or Copy" because it is much more than that. I think you could put that piece in some of the museums in Boston and no one would be able to tell the difference. Your finish is what sets it apart imho. Not using a modern finish gives it an authentic appearance that a modern finish wouldn't have imparted. Once again. Nice work

Dave Anderson NH
09-06-2004, 11:13 AM
I felt that to use a period method of finishing was the only way to go to get the antique look I wanted. The pine was a lot of trouble since it took about 5-6 steps and it still wasn't quite what I wanted, but it came close. The dyeing of the mahogany and the application of the shellac was pretty straightforward. I did take a small amount of shellac and add a few drops of a dark brown dye to it and brushed a couple of coats into the inside corners to add some age.

Mark- The hinge pins for the swing legs and aprons are 1/4" diameter oak dowels and are just force fit in place. In the 18th century they wouldn't have used any more metal than necessary since it was expensive and not really necessary. I did however choose to use brass leaf hinges though iron ones would have been more appropriate to the period.