PDA

View Full Version : My first Birdhouse

Paul Maue
08-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I've admired all the recent posts of birdhouses so I had to give it a try.

I got some materials that has been sitting in the garage drying out and printed out Eugen Schlaak's instructions on making a birdhouse ornament. The instructions were easy to follow and within a short time I had my first birdhouse ornament. Now I need to make a few dozen more because the wife wants to give them away for Christmas.

The birdhouse is 6'' tall x 2" wide. The body is mulberry and the roof is cedar. This is also the first time I tried using BOL. It seems to have lost its shine from when I first put it on. I'll probably spray some shellac or lacuer on it to bring back the gloss.

Steve Schlumpf
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Paul - real nice work! These make wonderful Christmas gifts - so make more than you think you will need cause they go fast! Have fun with it!

Mike Svoma
08-05-2009, 1:42 PM
Nice birdhouse, Paul. I finish mine with three coats of wipe-on poly, and then hit them with rattle can laquer and buff. They hold a nice glossy finish then. Again, nice job.

Mike

Joseph M Lary
08-05-2009, 2:51 PM
My wife did the same thing ,told her if we sell them then I can get more tools .

Steve Mawson
08-05-2009, 5:18 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start. They are fun and folks like them for sure. Never tried to sell them but that might be next to try. Always use more green stuff for tools.

David Christopher
08-05-2009, 5:39 PM
Paul, that a very nice looking birdhouse

Mark Hix
08-05-2009, 6:23 PM
nice looking birdhouse. I like making them and never seem to make enough for everyone that wants one.

Bernie Weishapl
08-05-2009, 8:25 PM
Great looking birdhouse. I make a lot of them and just spray 3 to 4 coats of rattle can lacquer. Can't seem to make enough.

Paul Maue
08-06-2009, 9:40 AM
Bernie

Do you spray the individual pieces while it is on the lathe or when it is completely assembled?

Paul