PDA

View Full Version : plastic tub surround advice?

Jason Perrott
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Hello,
I am doing a job at a rental property demoing out tile walls that are rotten and then replacing with a 3 piece tub surround from the Borg, this is a $250 item, so not the bottom of the barrel as far as quality, its a rental anyway....

They seem to sell a version which mounts directly to the studs and then you overlay the green board over the flange that you just screwed through. Apparently no green board behind the rest of the unit.

Does this sound correct? am I missing something?

Not sure how well the glue up versions work, look like a bit of a pita for a solo job.

Any advice would be great,
TIA
Jason

Jim Myers
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Last year i bought a 4 piece shower stall that mounted the same way and we have had no problems with it.

The green board as stated buts up over the screws and you just finish as normal.

Rob John
08-05-2009, 2:46 PM
Depending on the type of surround it is you may also want to look at construction adhesive on the studs behind where you will be installing the surround. if the surround flexs when you dry fit it you may need to build out the studs a little and use the adhesive to hold the surround to the wood.

This will reduce the flex and any potential cracking of the surround later. The instructions that came with one I installed in a friends bathroom outlined the above information.

Also later when one of the walls of the surround became " unstuck" it made the surround feel a little cheap, so do not be afraid to use lots of adhesive and fur out those studs if needed. Also it is best to think of how you are going to put pressure on the areas where the adhesive is. We used 2 by 4s properly, well maybe not properly but good enough for our needs, wedged against the surround walls.

Edit -
Also when drilling the holes for the nails on the edge of the surround be sure not to apply to much pressure and use a SHARP bit. Also do not hit the area around the nails with the hammer. We did and nothing cracked but as those nails pulled the material you could "feel" the strain on it. When nailing go slow and steady.