PDA

View Full Version : Table saw suggestions

Art Bianconi
08-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Because I was certain it was asked before, I tried several times to search for previous posts on what our group considers the best table saw. Alas I could not find any such discussion.

So I'll pose the question now. Given these parameters, what table saw should I buy?

1 Not too big a footprint.

My shop space is limited to a basement already cluttered by benches, a planer, a jointer, a radial saw, a drill press, a 17" band saw, a TIG welder, a gas welder, a huge refrigerator freezer, a small machine lathe and an existing small table saw of the kind you'd find at Home (Imported) Depot. It's smaller than a 1-1/2 car garage. Space is at a premium and while I'd love to have a table saw like "Uncle Norm" uses, the shop won't allow it.

2. I prefer a used commercial grade over a new one from a home center simply because the commercial ones last almost forever, do a better job and often cost less used.

3. I've a budget of about $750 and I have 220 VAC single and 3 phase available in the shop

There are lots of smaller contractors closing their doors because of the percieved state of the economy. I'm hoping I can grab one of their saws.

I recently bought a new 17" Grizzly band saw and love it. I might consider a new Grizzly table saw if it offers the features of saws offered for industrial applications.

Thanks

Art

Kyle Iwamoto
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
You'll get lots of opinions here.

I think #1 and #2 are mutually exclusive. Small footprint and commercial saws is not an option. Given your 750 buck limit, I'd say get a used Uni. Many will say get a General, or a Griz. I would also say if you could stretch your budget, hunt for a used Sawstop. Won't fit your small footprint and 750 buck limit, but fits commercial grade requirement. There is no percieved trouble in the economy. It's a real problem. That's how I got my SS. A guy closed his cabinet shop. Good luck in your decision.

1 vote for Uni.

Scott T Smith
08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Art, from your tool list it sounds like we have some interests in common!

I've had a couple of Grizzly table saws and been very pleased with them. My current model is their 12" G0605X, which is outside of your posted budget. Grizzly's 1023 tablesaw is close to your price range, and there are a lot of foks that really like theirs.

I see a lot of tablesaws on our local craigslist pages, and you can use searchtemptest.com to search the craigslists in your surrounding communities.

You should be able to pick up some nice, heavy iron within your price range, such as an older Powermatic, Unisaw, etc.

Chip Lindley
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
There are many used 3hp, 10" *cabinet saws* which will fit your budget and needs. (Powermatic, Unisaw, Jet, Steel City, Shop Fox, SawStop and Grizzly, to name prominent brands)

A New Grizzly probably comes closest to your price point! But if you can wait, the bargains will show up on CL, eBay, or your local want ads.

Have Patience! Haste makes Waste!

Jeff Duncan
08-05-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree with Kyle that options #1,#2, and #3 are contradictory. Industrial or "commercial" machines require floor space and generally speaking cost more. If you can't fit a Uni (uncle Norm's saw) you won't get anything commercial. A Uni is (in my humble opinion anyway) borderline with commercial duty. It's a great saw and will last a lifetime but it's not the same grade as say a Tanny or an Oliver.
Nope your looking for a contractors saw, and that I can't help you with as I don't use one.
good luck in your search,
JeffD

Jacob Reverb
08-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Powermatic 64

Richard Magbanua
08-05-2009, 1:22 PM
By "commercial" I assume you're meaning cabinet -type saw as opposed to contractors style, right?

If that's the case, a cabinet style saw actually has a smaller footprint than a contractors style since the motor is under the table and not hanging out the back.
Craigslist is a great place to look if you're not in a hurry. But, then again, there might be one waiting as we speak. If it's a major brand it should be alright. Just make sure it has a decent fence and seems as though it's been cared for.

In your price range options for a new one may be limited. Most hybrid models are above that although I got my Craftsman Prof 22124 on sale for $750. It still sells for $900 which would not be a good deal.
The new Rigid hybrid is out and looks nice. It even has a built-in mobile base. I believe Rigid still has lifetime service on their power tools. These saws aren't too bad really. They compare very well with any other new saw in their price range regardless of brand IMO.

Chip Lindley
08-05-2009, 1:31 PM
Contractor-type saws actually take up MORE floor space than a cabinet saw (Unisaw, etc.) because the motor hangs out the back! Cabinet saw motors are pretty much self contained.

Otherwise, 50" rails and long extension tables can be added to either type, and are strictly optional.

Chris Tsutsui
08-05-2009, 1:53 PM
A used cabinet saw would be good.

I think a new Unisaw with Biesmeyer fence would be around $2k. If you can find a slightly older one and get it for $750 used, then there's a deal.

If you have to buy "new", then a grizzly would be closer to your budget range.

The cheapest contractor saw i've seen is the rigid which i've seen for $300-400 clearance priced at the home centers.

My dream is to one day find a used sliding table cabinet saw for 95% off normal price on CL. :) Such as a Robland, Laguna, or Jet.

Art Bianconi
08-06-2009, 12:58 AM
What generous responses! Thanks all of you!

While I'd enjoy having a good table saw to help making the new kitchen cabinets, I'll likely continue to use the radial saw provided I can figure out how to square the beast so it cuts right.

Thanks for the support. I've made a list of all your suggestions and will start to dig some on Craig's list and eBay.

Art

Don Morris
08-06-2009, 3:41 AM
The Grizzly 1023 would fit the bill nicely. New it's almost in your range and it's a close UNI clone. I put a Biesemyer splitter for UNI's on mine with no modifications. There are many of us that have 1023's and I've heard nothing but good to superb reviews.

Mike Cruz
08-06-2009, 7:59 AM
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/tls/1308376436.html

not mine.

jim hedgpeth
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Very close to your $ range, and a good saw IMHO. Riving knife, 2hp, collection at the blade, and the fence is not bad after a little fix on the cursor screws.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0661

Scott Hildenbrand
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
The G0661 is the one I'm eying as well. Motor hangs to the side, so it's more of a hybrid than a contractor. Plus the riving knife, dust handling and full CI table make it a really good saw.

Brian Kincaid
08-12-2009, 9:58 AM
Look into track saws. You can rip 8' in a space of probably 10' (as opposed to ~20' for a table saw).

No dado though, you would need a track router and bit for that.

Not trying to start a war here. I've used both and see that both are useful! Some people say both are needed. I would not disagree.

-Brian

Rob Price
08-12-2009, 10:21 AM
either way, if space is a premium, invest in a mobile base....

David Winer
08-12-2009, 1:35 PM
My shop space is limited to a basement already cluttered ... Space is at a premium and while I'd love to have a table saw like "Uncle Norm" uses, the shop won't allow it.

I prefer a used commercial grade over a new one ...

I've a budget of about $750 and I have 220 VAC single and 3 phase available in the shop

Powermatic used to offer their Model 66 table saw in a "Special Edition" that had an 8 inch cast iron extension wing coupled with a 28" x 14" table board. It had a catalog number of 1660802. I bought this saw in 2003 to save as much space as possible in an already crowded garage-shop. I am now replacing the table with a Woodpecker custom designed router table.